Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Pop Top Repairs

Author Pop Top Repairs
Daniel Davis
Hulmeville, PA

Boat Name: No Time

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel 1982

Hull No. 10772

Hailing Port: Lanoka Harbor, NJ
09/23/2008 11:31 AM Pacific Time

Wondering if anyone has any experience with pop top repairs. My 1982 top is getting rather “spongey”, it seems to be sagging forward to aft, and is beginning to leak around the 2 screws for the hold down clamp. I was thinking about grinding out the inside surface and see what’s going on. Or, am I better off looking for a used one?
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
09/23/2008 12:33 PM Pacific Time

What about attaching strips along either side of the slide hatch rails under the poptop? teak would look nice or thick aluminun angle or square tube would be light and easier the attach to the top. If you use aluminum you could incorporate the bolt holes of the support brackets or match the holes in the slide hatch rails or both depending where the sag is. You could also take the top off and carefully
oversize all the through holes,fill with epoxy and redrill.Someone with more experience could suggest how to separatethe poptop to re do the core but I have not done it.If the top is to far gone get another one. Unfortunately there may be one in the Galviston area.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
09/24/2008 4:51 PM Pacific Time

Or you could replace the teak slide rails with custom milled aluminum ones. I just happen to have a pair....
At least then you would have some strong support along nearly the entire length from front to rear.

Mike
marcel

Boat Name: At Last

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Caesar Creek, Cincinnati, OH
08/12/2010 10:47 AM Pacific Time

I am in the middle of "fixing" my pop top. I found soft area's where the previous owner had installed the "air assist" pistons to make it easier to push it up. The bolts had dented the deck some, water collected and must have leaked into the core. I expected to find balsa wood or some other type of wood but on my '83 it was a hard foam. It does seem to crumble or breakdown if water get's in there. I replaced the "bad" sections with wood after cutting openings into the ceiling. I am now in the middle of cleaning it all and getting ready to re-paint. I am planning to drill out each hole and fill it with epoxy and redrill so that no water can enter.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Pop Top Repairs