Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Construction of keel trunk

Author Construction of keel trunk
Bruce Ferry
Newburgh NY

Boat Name: Seneca T

Model/Year: 22 / 1975

Hull No. 4842

Hailing Port: New Hamburg NY
09/30/2008 12:17 AM Pacific Time

I have a hole punched into my outer hull in the keel trunk area from a fallen keel. The marina hauled the boat when they noticed that the bow was nearing the water line... I haven't dropped the keel out, but can see the damage.

I had planned to motor the boat 35 miles upriver to its winter storage home and am wondering if I can do a temporary fix.

Questions:

1. How much air space is there between the inner and outer hulls in the keel trunk area?

2. Does it sound reasonable to drill thru the inner hull and fill this air space w/ closed cell spray foam in the area of the hole as a quick, temporary fix for a 6-hour trip?

3. Anyone have any experience w/ impact damage to the keel trunk? I've scanned the posts and found a lot of broken cables and fallen keels but no one w/ damage to the trunk.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, empathy, sympathy.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/30/2008 7:24 AM Pacific Time

Bruce, there is about 1-1/4 inch between the cabin sole and the hull, and about the same between the liner and keel trunk. I can send you a picture of that area. Need your email address.

Peter
Bruce Ferry
Newburgh NY

Boat Name: Seneca T

Model/Year: 22 / 1975

Hull No. 4842

Hailing Port: New Hamburg NY
10/01/2008 3:34 AM Pacific Time

Pictures would be great and will probably save me from cutting a hole from the inside to look around. Email: [email protected]. An inch should be enough room for the foam to disperse. At any rate, it can't hurt to experiment and could help a lot. It's regrettable that they didn't fill that dead space w/ foam during construction, it would have strengthened the trunk area and reduced leaks after damage, but I guess at that time no one anticipated fallen keels and the resulting damage.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
10/01/2008 1:38 PM Pacific Time

Bruce, I would rethink using spray foam as a temporary fix. Although it may get you "back home" that stuff is a bear to remove and will make your permanent fix a very unpleasant task.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
10/01/2008 5:49 PM Pacific Time

Bruce,
I checked The MainBrace for a C22 fleet near you. It appears that there are several in NY. Get in touch with the Fleet Commodore for Region 1, [email protected]
His name, according to theMainBrace is Tom Newmann. Maybe he can direct you to a fleet near you where someone has a trailer to rent/loan so you can trail the boat home to be repaired.

Frankly, I would not run the risk of doing what you propose, and the repair may be much easier to do in your own back yard or with some of the fleet's help.
Larry
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/01/2008 11:41 PM Pacific Time

i would borrow a trailer. the hull flexes quite a lot and even a crack (much less a hole) can let a lot of water in quickly. if the boat is already out of the water, there are fiberglass kits you can buy that will fix the hole in a day. probably not pretty, but will do the trick. i was holed in a regatta, beached the boat, put gray tape over the hole and then motored it a mile to the dock. hauled out, my husband got one of the small fiberglass kits with cloth and kitty hair and did the patch with the boat on the trailer. five years later the patch is still holding. good luck
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
10/02/2008 5:24 AM Pacific Time

Some cutaway pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=e2c4139b1035144f&sid=8Abtm7NqzYsmOE

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/KenPalmer06.html

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/KenPalmerCrossSections.htm

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Construction of keel trunk