Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Personal floatation devices

Author Personal floatation devices
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
03/06/2004 9:15 PM Pacific Time

As I age and get more stumbly I've decided that we,my wife and I, would be safer to wear a PFD all the time we are sailing. I've always worn a float coat but it is so hot due to the layer of closed cell foam lining the coat, that you can't stand to have it zipped up which negates to a large part, it's virtues. I am interested in the inflatables which come in both suspender and waist types. I tend to discount the waist types as my waist is too big already. Do any of you out there have actual experience in these things as to comfort etc.?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/07/2004 5:33 AM Pacific Time

I have a waist type inflatable - never had to use it but you hardly know its there. My son has a vest type - little less comfortable but it has a tether ring which can be valuable at times.You can inflate them manually or with a cartridge.
I think the last issue of boat u.s. did a review on them.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/07/2004 7:24 AM Pacific Time

Dick R. I have and wear the SOSpenders. They get warm around the neck, but give me a comfortable safe feeling. I have the manual inflatable model, but am considering getting the self inflating model. I got the manual one so I could go sailing on my son's Hobie 18. My 2.5 yearold granddaughter is not quite ready yet so I haven't done any of that.
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
03/07/2004 11:48 PM Pacific Time

I also have a set of SOSpenders. Mine are the self inflating variety with the integrated harness. Since I single hand almost exclusively, I also picked up a 6-foot elastic dual-clip tether. The whole rig probably set me back about $350. In the temperate maritime climate of Puget Sound, the SOSpenders are plenty comfortable. I used to race an Oday/Jeanneau 39 in the New Smyrna Beach, FL area and can well imagine that anything on your body would be uncomfortably hot. Clothing optional is the only way to race in Central Florida. ;-)
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

03/08/2004 9:27 PM Pacific Time

Thanks guys. I'll go with the SOSuspenders. I will be sailing the San Juans also. I'm sure they won't be as hot as my float coat was.
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
03/09/2004 10:14 PM Pacific Time

Cool!

Be sure to document your cruise for us. I’m planning a single handed run to Friday Harbor from Shilshole later this season, and I would love to hear your insights.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

03/11/2004 10:09 PM Pacific Time

Friday Harbor is a very busy but real neat place in the summer. You may have to anchor out so have a dinghy.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Personal floatation devices