Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mainsail halyard help !

Author Mainsail halyard help !
Bojan Boskovski
Skopje, Macedonia

Boat Name: Karpa

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ohrid, Macedonia
11/23/2008 7:19 AM Pacific Time

I have recently bought my first Catalina 22. I must say I am in love with it. I am not sure about my halyard for the main sail and I need help.
The halyard for the jib is going fromk the tip of the sail to the top of the mast then enters in the mast and exits trough the exit block on the bottom of the mast. Then it goes trough the deck organisers to the cockpit. The halyard for the main sail is not in the mast it stays alogside of the mast and I am not sure if it should go inside the mast from the opsite side and trough the exit block which is now not used.
I feel that when I pull my mainsail like it is not going totaly up.
Please help me how to organise the halyards.

Thank you

Bojan
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
11/23/2008 11:39 AM Pacific Time

Our boat is not set up with internal halyards, so I am no expert on this, but it sounds like the seller got in a hurry to get the boat ready to sell and didn’t take the time to put the main halyard back through the inside of the mast. Makes you wonder why the halyards were pulled out. If you have two exit blocks at the bottom of the mast, the boat was modified to use internal halyards, probably using a kit such as sold by Catalina Direct.

For EXTERNAL halyards, you would have four blocks at the top of the mast, two for the main, two for the jib. The jib halyard would proceed from the jib head to the forward port block on the mast head, back to the aft block on that side and then down to a tie-off on the port side. The main halyard would proceed from the mainsail head to the starboard aft block, forward to the front block and then down to a tie-off on the starboard side.

If you have INTERNAL halyards, the kit may have converted the masthead to only two wider blocks at the masthead, allowing wider line, rather than cable halyards. With internal halyards the main will leave the aft block and go directly down to the exit block. The jib halyard will leave the forward block and go directly down to its exit block.

This implies to me that your seller may have run the main halyard over the same forward block as the jib, which would create a lot of friction and wear. If your boat lives on the water you are going to get your first experience lowering the mast, which is another story! Good luck!

Joe
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
11/24/2008 11:57 AM Pacific Time

I believe C22 boats built after 1986 were rigged with internal halyards. As stated the only difference is the sheeves at the top of the mast are a different size for wire to rope halyards vs. all rope halyards. Catalina Direct makes retrofit kits for older boats to allow for all rope halyards. Since you are not the original owner, it might be possible the original owner changed the rigging or made mistakes in rigging the main and jib. I don't think you will know the exact nature of what's going on unless you drop the mast and check out the sheeves or send someone up to the top of the mast to check them out. The mast can be lowered while the boat is in the water using a pully system on the forestay and removing or totally loosening the forward upper shroud. Best to do at a dock, but can do on a mooring ball if you have too.
Tony Pacaro
Lansdale, PA

Boat Name: Provolone

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1988

Hull No. 14733

Hailing Port: Quakertown, PA
11/25/2008 5:01 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1988 C22 and the halyards are internal.
Bojan Boskovski
Skopje, Macedonia

Boat Name: Karpa

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ohrid, Macedonia
12/01/2008 6:28 AM Pacific Time

Thank you. I think also that is possible to have the halyards inside the mast.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mainsail halyard help !