Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Bouyancy

Author Mast Bouyancy
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
12/01/2008 11:28 AM Pacific Time

I'm considering filling my mast with styrofoam popcorn, or using some other method to make the mast bouyant. The purpose would be to add to the boat's ability to right itself after a knockdown. I'd rather the mast provide some righting moment than it become a 25 ft long (and deep) ballast tank. Has anyone done this? Know of anyone who has experience with it? Any reason why it wouldn't be a good idea?
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
12/01/2008 12:59 PM Pacific Time

I did it with a 32' keel boat to silence internal wiring slap. Never turned turtle to find out if it floated... All the guys that complained about the wire slap loved it! Sold the boat after five years with no probs. Filled it with peanuts using a vacuum cleaner to pull 'em down.
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
12/01/2008 1:02 PM Pacific Time

I guess I would not worry about it.
Wes Van Nurden
Chippewa Falls, WI

Boat Name: Puddle Jumper

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11164

Hailing Port: Lake Wissota, Chippewa Falls, WI
12/02/2008 6:59 AM Pacific Time

It would be a wast of time. If you mast is underwater you have other problems to worry about. There wouldn't be enough bouyancy to make any difference. (If you want to try it fill your mast up and place it in the water and see if it floats, I'd be very supprised if it did). It the mast is out of the water, knock down but not turtled, it won't help at all.

I'd be more worried about the swing keel swinging back up into the boat if the boat ever got that far over that the mast is underwater.

I'd skip filling the mast up since it won't help anything and just go sailing and not worry about it.

Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
12/02/2008 7:16 AM Pacific Time

The popcorn in the mast won't make it any more bouyant than if it only had air in it. So the question is, how long before the air is replaced by water if the boat is blown over. Unless it stays over long enough for the mast to become waterlogged, the hollow mast itself is just as bouyant as a mast filled with popcorn.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Bouyancy