Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bottom Paint: Pettit VIVID

Author Bottom Paint: Pettit VIVID
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
12/22/2008 3:44 AM Pacific Time

Any opinions or experience (good or bad) with Pettit's VIVID antifouling paint? I dry-sail my Catalina 22, and the VIVID looks like a really good option.
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
12/23/2008 11:01 AM Pacific Time

If you dry sail why do you need anti foulant paint. I just redid my bottom with Interlux VC2000. Also dropped my keel; sandblasted, filled in all the holes, and faired it; then covered it in glass cloth and two part epoxy (don't remember which one as I had someone else do this).
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 7657

If you dry sail why do you need anti foulant paint. I just redid my bottom with Interlux VC2000. Also dropped my keel; sandblasted, filled in all the holes, and faired it; then covered it in glass cloth and two part epoxy (don't remember which one as I had someone else do this).
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 7657

Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
12/23/2008 3:51 PM Pacific Time

I plan to do some sailing in salt water...for a week or so. Need antifouling to fight off the growth. I also travel a lot to other lakes ... some lakes are pretty filthy and the lack of paint allows growth to get into the pores of the fiberglass, making it difficult to remove and cleanup.
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 7657

12/24/2008 5:58 AM Pacific Time

not sure why my post "posted" three times. Let's see if this one does.
Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Boat Name: ScrapingBottom

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1975

Hull No. 5038

Hailing Port: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
12/24/2008 6:06 AM Pacific Time

Hello, Personally I love the Vivid bottom paints. For several reasons. One is that they offer some really great color combinations that can really set your boat apart. I painted mine green and have had many many complements on it. Another reason I like the Vivid is that its so simple to reapply it after a couple of years the paint wears off in a few spots. All you have to do is to jack it up on the trailer bunks, scuff sand it using 120 sandpaper using a small roller put anther coat on it and it will be good for a couple more years. I have my boat in each year for the season and at the end of the year when I haul it theres no scum whatsoever on the bottom. I love the Vivid paint. If you want to see a photo album of my paint job heres the link

http://sports.webshots.com/album/551235043CIUnZT

Smooth Sailing
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
12/24/2008 12:21 PM Pacific Time

Great photo documentation of hard work on your boat, Tim and Susan!
Larry
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
12/24/2008 2:49 PM Pacific Time

I'm a big fan of VC17. gave up the heavy bottom paints back in the 80s. It's slick for racing. easy to apply. never never a build up and it works. I have painted the same boat bottom for 12 seasons with nothing more than a wipe off with a spray surface cleaner,windex, and one full coat of vc17. a few seasons I just trailered and it was fine. other yrs maybe some slime at the water line. may 2 cents
paul
Scott
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Promiseland

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel/1985

Hull No. 12982

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Bay, Portland OR
12/27/2008 2:58 PM Pacific Time

I have used Petit Vivid on my boat's bottom and rudder for four years now. I've had it professionally applied every two years. I leave my boat in the water from March through November on the lower Columbia River. Six months after the boat is painted, the rudder and bottom become covered with thick, green slime. This is a common occurance on the Columbia. Some C22 sailors have constructed homemade bottom scrubbers that gently sluff off the slime.

I think Petit Vivid is a great paint because it makes it easy to sluff the slime off and at the same time it protects the underlying gelcoat. However, it's very expensive (~$100/gallon) and I don't think it's intended to prevent slime in lakes/rivers with poor water quality; I think it's intended to prevent barnacles and other saltwater type creatures from attaching.

In the future I will use a less expensive bottom paint that doesn't contain the heavy metals and biocides that petit vivid uses and give the boat a gentle bottom scrub every 6 months or so. Check out c22pdx.org for a link to make a homemade C22 bottom scrubber that's easy to use from the dock.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bottom Paint: Pettit VIVID