Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / REPLACING MAIN SHEET DECK BLOCK

Author REPLACING MAIN SHEET DECK BLOCK
william starkweather
everett,wa

Boat Name: puff

Model/Year: catalina 30 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: everett,wa
01/08/2009 3:45 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone know how to get the Garhauer main sheet deck block
off? Do the screws have a back plate or should they just screw out?
This is on a 1987 Cat. 30

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/08/2009 4:38 PM Pacific Time

The deck blocks have machine screws that are screwed into a threaded metal hole. Probably stainless or aluminum. I had a hard time unscrewing mine. The screws oxidized in the holes. You need to soak the screws over and over again..maybe days. You will need a very large screwdriver that you can really push down hard on as you turn. Try not to break off the screws...that would be a real problem. I replaced the screws and blocks on my 86.

Butchie
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
01/08/2009 5:22 PM Pacific Time

If all else fails, try an impact screwdriver. You can get a good solid one for about 25 bucks at Sears. It is just the tool for getting out corroded fasteners. All boat tool boxes should have one.
Dan Bowers

Boat Name: Address Unknown

Model/Year: C22 '87

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/03/2012 8:01 AM Pacific Time

Oh yes.....the impact driver is the key. Be sure to use a proper fitting bit and know how to use the driver. Practice on something else if unsure of the procedure.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / REPLACING MAIN SHEET DECK BLOCK