Mooring / Docking

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Beaching a swing-keel C22 - is it safe?

Author Beaching a swing-keel C22 - is it safe?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
02/06/2009 2:53 PM Pacific Time

I keep my swing-keel C22 on a swinging mooring all year round and would like do to a mid-season clean of the hull before doing a proper anti-foul.

I can't use my trailer at the moment, so I was thinking of anchoring close to a beach and letting the boat dry out on the beach (with the keel up obviously!)

Is this a safe thing to do and are there any issues I should be aware of?

e.g.
1. could the swing keel be damaged by resting on the beach?
2. Will the boat float off when the tide rises or can it get stuck?
3. how stable will the boat be resting on the keel? Do I need some supports to keep the boat upright?

I was thinking of dropping the anchor to seaward to prevent the boat getting pushed up the beach by waves (and possibly being unable to get it off later!).

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

John Wheeler
Serene II
Sydney, Australia
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/07/2009 7:27 AM Pacific Time

There is one concern I would have. If you beach the boat, be very careful about the position of the keel. If it is resting on the keel it could be driven into the depression which houses the keel when it is up. I had the area around the cable tube cracked as a result of the boat being beached. I must admit that the wave action was pretty rough to cause this. It could also affect the mounting castings if the bolts are not tight.
ldfkaqaa

Boat Name: uywcrbwu

Model/Year: 1967

Hull No. 1

Hailing Port: 1
11/11/2021 12:40 AM Pacific Time

Jack Riley
Tavernier Florida

Boat Name: Taddy

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Sport 2021 swing keel

Hull No. 5804

Hailing Port: Tavernier Florida
11/11/2021 12:40 AM Pacific Time

Mooring / Docking
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Beaching a swing-keel C22 - is it safe?