Plumbing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Water Below Bilge in Hull

Author Water Below Bilge in Hull
Warren Davis
Gun Barrel City, TX

Boat Name: C'Ya

Model/Year: Catalina-22/1984

Hull No. CTYH2329M84G

Hailing Port: Cedar Creek Lake
03/17/2009 8:44 AM Pacific Time

My Catalina-22 is in a sling out of water.
After rain, all of the bilge areas have water.
After I drain all visible bilge areas, I can hear water sloshing when I rock the boat sideways in her sling!
It sounds like the water is below the bilge area where the table is? Is this possible?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/17/2009 10:48 AM Pacific Time

did you check to see if the compartments under the seats are dry? Water will migrate into these compartments. I can't imagine water being anywhere else. under the bilge area is simply the hull.

Dan
Warren Davis
Gun Barrel City, TX

Hull No. CTYH2329M84G

03/17/2009 3:10 PM Pacific Time

Dan, thanks for your reply.
True, I am convinced that there is water below the compartments under the seats; directly below the table. There is no water in any compartment fore or aft. I have looked under the cockpit lazarets lifting the starboard side cover. Nothing.
How can water get between the inner hull and the outer hull? My boat has not been in the water for over three years residing in her sling all this time.
I'm baffled.

Warren Davis
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
03/18/2009 3:42 AM Pacific Time

It would appear that you have a leak on the port side deck. There is a space of about 1-11/2 inches between the hull and the liner under the dinette and water can collect there.
Warren Davis
Gun Barrel City, TX

Hull No. CTYH2329M84G

03/18/2009 9:28 AM Pacific Time

Aaron, thanks for your reply.
I believe that I have water between the hull and the liner. How it got in is a mystery given my boat has not been in the water, in her sling and only exposed to rain. It is possible that water did seep through.
Suppose I am right. How would you get the water out? Any thoughts?

Regards,
Warren

BTW, a neighbor has a Catalina 27 named Tidily Idley?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
03/19/2009 8:45 AM Pacific Time

Warren, I believe that you have leakage around several possible things. First would be the chain plate fittings. There are three on each side. Second would be the stanchions if you have life lines. Third, is around the windows. Finally, and least desirable would be leaks at the hull/deck interface. The joint is behind your rub rail. If this is the case it might be caused by the fact that the boat has been in a sling for so long and it has altered the shape of the hull.

Here is a way to possibly determine where it is coming from. I have had 2 C-22's on my older one, which I think is the same style as yours I had a similar problem. I took a dry erase marker an drew a line on the inside wall of the boat. Then if it leaks the water will run down the wall and wash away the marker. You then have a pretty good idea of where your leaks are.

To get the water out I suggest that you lower the stern of the boat a little and let the water run aft and pump it out with a bilge pump.

By the way, where is Gun Barrel City.
Warren Davis
Gun Barrel City, TX

Hull No. CTYH2329M84G

03/19/2009 3:05 PM Pacific Time

R. C., your response is thorough and accurate, thanks.
When water appears in the bilge areas, there is none on the cabin area floor? No water appears below the chainplates where the shelf is? Nor is there any water from the windows on the shelfs? I have no life lines.

I must reexamine the rub rail and will tomorrow, thanks.

It is possible that the boat's shape has been affected by being in the sling for a prolonged period.

I like your idea of the dry eraser marker to detect where water is coming from. I'll get this set up and use a hose to simulate a rain.

Am I to assume that were I to lower the stern of the boat that somehow the water trapped between the liner and the hull would come out? Where?

What I think I'm going to do is to drill a hole in the liner on the floor of the port side aft- facing seat compartment. This near the keel amidships. I can hear the water sloshing in this area very clearly. Next I will siphon out the water from the hull area. I will then stopper the hole with a low-pressure nylon/rubber pipe expansion plug that can be removed should I take on water again.

Sound too loony? Stop me before I drill.

Gun Barrel City is 65 miles south east of Dallas. We live on Cedar Creek Lake, a 38,000 acre reservoir with 310 shoreline miles.

Regards,

Warren
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
03/20/2009 4:54 AM Pacific Time

Warren, on my current boat I have a manual bilge pump and the hose for sucking out the water is placed under the floor just forward of the cable "volcano". There are what are called limber holes which drain the water from the areas around the seats aft to that location also. I'd love to know the derivation of that term.

My older boat had flotation foam sprayed in It really held the water.

Where are your cockpit drains? If they are forward, you might want to check the tubes and "y" fitting that leads them to drain through the hull.

My wife is a native Texan, Luling, we were married in Waco, have daughters in Frisco and Springtown TX. Spent a month in TX over the holidays

If I can be of any further help just let me know.

Plumbing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Water Below Bilge in Hull