Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Vibration

Author Keel Vibration
Terry Woodward
Brisbane

Boat Name: Relentless

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Brisbane
03/21/2009 1:50 AM Pacific Time

Hi Fellow Sailors,

I'm a new member of the Catalina trailer sailer fraternity, based in Brisbane, OZ. Having only sailed dinghy's in my youth I have pretty limited experience. Today was my first shake down sail with my retractable keel Catalina 22. The boat feels great when cruising along at 3-4 knots but above that speed the keel vibrates on any point of sail. The noise level is disturbingly high.

Is this normal or does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to fix this?

Thanks

Woody
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
03/21/2009 8:46 AM Pacific Time

It's only your cable that supports the keel that you are hearing. If the noise disturbs you, just loosen the winch. I usually let the keel all the way down and then make sure I've got a little slack in the cable with the handle down. Sometimes I enjoy the sound; it gives a sense of accomplishment when you get it really thrumming.

Joe
Terry Woodward
Brisbane

Model/Year:

Hull No.

03/22/2009 3:10 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Joe,

It's a relief to hear that the cause was not a sympton of something more serious. I'll be a bit more chilled the next time out I'm out on Moreton Bay.

Woody.

Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
03/22/2009 4:59 AM Pacific Time

Hey Woody,

Welcome aboard. You don't say how old your boat is but if this is your first swing-keel you need to be aware of some maintenance issues with the keel mechanism. Joe pegged your vibration problem for you but don't forget to check on the hanger pin every once in awhile and to inspect your keel winch cable and ball assembly for wear or other problems.

Some of the guys use the frequency of the hum as a makeshift speedometer, the higher the frequency, the faster you are moving.

Have fun this summer.

Greg
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
03/22/2009 7:33 AM Pacific Time

Hello gang,
Foolishly, I sold my sailboat because of the cost of slip rental and then, I bought a power boat to trailer, then another power boat so I am stuck w/two motor boats when I'd really welcome the sound of that keel cable over the drone of the eco unfriendly motors. Probably til all is said and done, the power boats will cost me what the slip rent cost. Is this a duh or what? What was I thinking?
Linda
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
03/25/2009 7:24 PM Pacific Time

Terry-

If you have a 1995 model year boat or newer, and the vibration actually makes the entire boat vibrate, write back, and I will give you the "fix" for that. I have a 2006 C22 Sport and the vibration was very bad...had to add keel shims to make the problem go away. A very inexpensive fix.

If the vibration is a humm...a loud humm..then it is the keel cable.
If the vibration is making the entire boat vibrate, then you need to add a shim to the keel (available from Catalina Direct)... and this will keep the keel "snug" against the keel well and prevent the keel from vibrating.

Terry Woodward
Brisbane

Model/Year:

Hull No.

03/27/2009 7:30 AM Pacific Time

Hi Rich,Greg and Linda,

I've not yet been out sailing since Joe's advice with regard to fully releasing the keel cable tension. I recon he has correctly identified the source of the vibration as it does not transfer into the body of my 1980 model boat.

In the coming months (Winter down under) I will undertake to inspect and maintain the keel system.

Best Regards

Woody

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Vibration