Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Non-skid colors

Author Non-skid colors
Mike
Charleston, SC

Boat Name: SEAMIST

Model/Year: 1979 C27

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
04/10/2009 10:13 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1979 C27 and wanted to know if anyone knows what the orginal color was for this surface? Mike
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/11/2009 11:58 AM Pacific Time

I believe the non skid colors is part of the mold process. The original buyer specified the color for the non skid on the boat when ordering. There was a light blue, gold, gray, beige and white options from the factory to my recollection. Color helped reduce reflection from the sails and overhead sun. There are aftermarket products that allow you to paint the non-skid area after just cleaning it throughly. Mine is light blue and my husband re-did it and it looks and feels great four years later after applying just one coat. I would avoid the ones where you add sand of silica as they can be hard on the bare skin when kneeling or scooting around. I belive there are brand names like Interlux, Awlgrip, etc. The last issue of "Sail" magazine had an article on boat restoration and covered non-skid recovering. They recommended another brand, very easy to use, but I gave away my magazine and can't look it up. Hope this helps
Mike
Charleston, SC

Boat Name: SEAMIST

Model/Year: 1979 C27

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
04/11/2009 2:36 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the information Lynn. I have painted the white non-skid areas of SEAMIST like the benches, top of the hatches etc. and they look great. The deck color is what I can't decide on. I could paint it any color I wish but want to stay as close to the original as possible. It is a beige or sand color as best I can tell . I e-mailed Catalina to see if they had any info but haven't heard back yet.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/13/2009 12:59 PM Pacific Time

The discussion topic said non-skid colors. So that's why I didn't address the boat colors. I belive the only factory colors for boats were white or beige. All other colors could be after market paint jobs. l I will check the C22 National Sailing Association Tech Manual (get one if you don't have one) and check around to see if any of the Natl. Assn. members on paint brands and colors is the best match, as again, even the boat color is a mold in process. My first C22 was a 1987 wing keel #14644 and my second was a 86 swing keel, beige hull and deck. Now I have a 73 #2431 and it was white and was repainted white four years ago. My husband did it in the driveway, so it's not a professional job, but we still get lots of complements.
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
04/30/2009 5:46 AM Pacific Time

A couple questions: 1) Will a quart of non-skid cover the deck, side-decks and cockpit sole? My rough calculations of the surface area say yes, but I would like to know from someone who has actually done the job. 2) Rather than repaint the whole thing, I'm considering only spot painting. The paint department at Lowe's says they need a chunk about the size of a half-dollar to match the paint. Anybody done this? Or should I just bite the bullet and repaint the whole deck?

OK, I guess that's 3 questions:o|
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
04/30/2009 6:14 AM Pacific Time

I guess if I read my previous posts from time to time, I'd answer some of my own questions :o. So I know a quart will cover it (thanks, Lynn). At the time, I thought I had a can of gray non-skid, but it's white so I'll have to add color. So questions 2) and 3) still apply. Thanks for any help available out there.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
03/17/2010 8:16 PM Pacific Time

Pat, you should stick with a marine paint that is flat at the very least. It is a bit costly but 1 Qt. should give you nice coverage. Your prep will be the most important part. Check ipaint or supermarine. Both of these have good prices and seem to make a good quality paint. I am about to repaint my hull with supermarine revolution.

1 i recomend clean very very well with the solvent they recomend.

2 use painter tape. (it sticks well and bends around corners unlike Masking tape but most important Masking will leave behind glue unlike painters tape)

3 once you clean the area use rubber gloves so not to touch the clean area. the oil from your finger will cause problems with the paint.

4 dont rush and I would recomend concentrating on one anti skid surface at a time or at least 2 that are far away from each other.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Non-skid colors