Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Setting tension on Shrouds

Author Setting tension on Shrouds
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
04/28/2009 7:49 AM Pacific Time

I have a question about setting the tension on the lower forward and aft shrouds. I have a loos guage. My boat has an adjustable split back stay and a CDI furler. What is the best way to set the tension on the lowers? Do I adjust the backstay until the back stay is at the recommended tension? I can't measur the forestay due to the furler. Or do I loosen the back stay and then adjust the lowers? If so, does the standard tension still apply. If I put tension on the back stay, the tension will increase on the forward lowers and decrease on the aft lowers (at least theoretically).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
04/28/2009 11:39 AM Pacific Time

Bob,
There's a great tuning guide here:
http://www.northsailsod.com/class/catalina22/catalina22_tuning.html

It should be noted that if you have the original chainplates and rigging, these numbers are going to be higher than what you should use. The job of the lower shrouds it to keep the mast in column while under sail. There's usually slack on the leward side shrouds in a fresh breeze, but the mast should be essential straight sidways.

Copies of the original owners manual here:
http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/index.htm
have a rudimentary rig tuning setup that may be helpful.

David
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
04/28/2009 12:51 PM Pacific Time

David,

Thanks!

Bob

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Setting tension on Shrouds