Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / New sailor

Author New sailor
Ben
Mobile, AL.

Boat Name: KATTYPAT

Model/Year: C 22 1977

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port: Mobile
05/03/2009 8:20 PM Pacific Time

Hey folks we purchased our sailboat in November 2008 as of April 2009 the KATTYPAT has not seen water. In fact due to work , weather and injury I haven't been completely through the boat yet. I would like to meet up with some other C-22 sailors in the Mobile Gulf Coast area and discuss sailing around here. Most likely putting in at Fowl River or Billygoat Hole. This is our first sail boat and we are both novices. So knowing what to look for on the boat that would be neat to have and what would be critical to have would be nice to know. looking forward to many pleasant cruises on the Bay. The next chance to hit the water will be May 22.
Ben
Mobile, AL.

Boat Name: KATTYPAT

Model/Year: C 22 1977

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port: Mobile
05/04/2009 12:08 PM Pacific Time

Is there a Catalina owners group in the Mobile Area? If so how do I contact/find them? Is anyone interested in developing a group? I am want to concentrate on learning to handle my C22. So some Catalina owners insight would save time and speed developement of my expertise. I missed even seeing the Dauphin Race this year and would like to plan next year to go with a group of Catalinas; fellowship, fun and safety being our primary objective. It's called a race if you want to race or regatta if you want to just enjoy the day/weekend. Right now for us (Regatta) You can e mail me ([email protected])
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
05/05/2009 6:05 AM Pacific Time

Hi Ben first try this link to the c22 national group
http://www.catalina22.org/

1. join this group only 27.50 per year. You will recieve a magazine with things
like racing/cruising/upgrades etc.. Also buy the cd $25.00 it has loads of ideas
on everything for you boat. It will save you MUCH more than the cost.
2. Find you club on this sight and contact the fleet captain. Join the silver fleet.
You will learn a lot about sailing from racers.
3. Check out the fleet 77 northern gulf coast cruise and others around the area
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
05/05/2009 4:31 PM Pacific Time

Although I'm from Atlanta, my wife's family is from Mobile. I race the Dauphine Island Race each year with my brothers in law. We race a 26' Ranger and of the 10+ boats in our fleet this year, first place in our fleet was won by a C-22 fixed keel. In the 2008 a few C-22's from Atlanta were there and did well.

While I don't think there are a lot of C-22's there, you might want to consider joining Mobile Yacht Club. My brother in law, Rick Haidt (Haidt Land Surveying, Inc.) is a member. Look up his company number and give him a call for info on the club. Great bunch of folks and good facilities.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / New sailor