Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / New Owner needs help with Mainsail

Author New Owner needs help with Mainsail
Matthew K
Flemington,NJ

Boat Name: Yesterday's Dream

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1975

Hull No. 4659

Hailing Port: Round Valley Reservoir
05/19/2009 9:26 AM Pacific Time

Ive moved up from a Mac V17 to a cat 22 1975
Had to first install internal halyards before i could raise my sail.
That done i installed main on boom and tied outhaul tight.
Put in sail slides in mast and hoisted main all the way up.
I have an old pigtail style topping lift and released that.
Boom hangs at a 45 degree angle.
When topping lift is on there is ALOT of extra sail flapping around.
Am i doing something wrong.Dint have this with smaller boat
Any Help appreciated.Thanks Matt
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/21/2009 5:41 PM Pacific Time

Matthew, how far above the deck is the point where the goose neck attaches to the boom? It should be 39". If is at that point, you should check to see that the sail is all the way to the top of the mast. If it is, your sail luff is way too long. With the sail all the way up the mast and the boom at 39" my boom is virtually parallel to the cabin top.
Matthew K
Flemington,NJ

Boat Name: Yesterday's Dream

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1975

Hull No. 4659

Hailing Port: Round Valley Reservoir
05/22/2009 3:36 AM Pacific Time

thanks R C
i think i did have the boom about 3'3",ill double check,i do recall seeing some space between top of sail and top of mast
if my luff is too long what does that mean?do old sails stretch to the point of being no good??
thanks again
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
05/23/2009 7:00 AM Pacific Time

If you aren't racing the length of the luff on the main is not an issue (as long as it fits in the space allocated). The luff may stretch a little with age, but shouldn't be anything significant (the way sails have been made during the Cat 22 era the stretch probably wouldn't be noticeable). I don't race, so I hoist the main to the top of the mast and adjust luff tension with the downhall which is connected to the gooseneck. The first couple of times you go out sailing you spend a lot of time worrying about these things, but after a few trips away from the dock everything seems to fall into place, and it becomes a simple matter of simply hoisting the sails.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/23/2009 8:16 AM Pacific Time

Matthew, Ron is right, but I can't imagine why the boom hangs down at a 45 degree angle. Have you had the sail on the ground to see that is roughly a 90 degree triangle. I don't know what the exact measurements should be, but the C-22 national association web site should have that info on it.

Over time sails will stretch. Your problem seems to be the opposite if the boom is hanging down. I had my main reconditioned at Sail Care in Ford City PA 2 years ago. They adjusted the luff length, cleaned the sail and did their magic thing to restore the sail. The cost was about $190. It came back looking like new.

By the way, I am a native of Wayne.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/23/2009 10:17 AM Pacific Time

the boom hanging at an excessive angle would indicate a excessive "roach" was built into the leech (aft edge) of your main. Racers do this to get more sq. ft. of sail. so if the luff, front of the sail fits in the slot and is within the national measurement heights, you will have to live with it as stated earlier, or a sailmaker can take some of the roach out by restiching the sail

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / New Owner needs help with Mainsail