Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Binding Sail Slugs

Author Binding Sail Slugs
Mike McGee
Navarre, FL

Boat Name: Carolina Dreamin'

Model/Year: Cat 22 / 1986

Hull No. 13218

Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
05/26/2009 6:55 PM Pacific Time

Just replaced the old vinyl sail slugs for the main sheet on my 22' with new vinyl slugs. The old slugs were 3/4" and the new slugs are 3/4" also but seem to bind up. Am I missing something...or do I have the right size slugs?
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
05/27/2009 1:35 AM Pacific Time

Mike,
I had the same problem some years ago and I used some kind of spray that freed them up. Seemed to work fine.
Maybe there is buildup of some slug residue from the years and possibly there is some kind of cleaner that would remove that.
Sure someone w/more experience can answer your question...
Good luck!
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/27/2009 4:44 AM Pacific Time

Mike, Linda is right. I have a sample of something called a "Rig Pig" that someone I know was thinking about marketing. He should have gone to Ron Popiel and done infomercials. It is a whole kit with different size slug made out of rope with eyes on both ends. Attach a halyard to one end and a small line to the other. What you can do to accomplish the same is wrap a short piece of 1/2" line with a piece of rag. Soak it in charcoal lighter fluid and run it up and down the slug track several times. This gets out the spider webs, leaf debris, cultivation dust and bird poop that tends to accumulate in the track. I then use a teflon spray or or silicone paste to lube the track. Do the same to the track on the boom.
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Almost Heaven III

Model/Year: 1989 Wing

Hull No. 14834

Hailing Port: Indian Lake, Ohio
05/27/2009 8:10 AM Pacific Time

Spray some silicone on the sail slugs while the main is lowered. You'll be amazed how well it helps.

Jim
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
06/01/2009 6:56 AM Pacific Time

As mentioned, the silicone spray works well. When your mast is down, clean out the sail track and spray it as well.
zz

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Binding Sail Slugs