Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Masthead questions

Author Masthead questions
Cam Beech
Byram, MS

Boat Name: Annie Mae

Model/Year: C-22/ 1982

Hull No. 10514

Hailing Port: Ridgeland, MS
05/28/2009 6:07 AM Pacific Time

Recently I figured out how NOT to take my mast down, and in the process, ruined my mast step and busted the masthead. I've ordered all the appropriate parts from Cat Direct, but I didn't pay attention to how my external halyards go through the sheaves. I'm thinking that the jib halyard (rope end) would hang from the rearmost sheaves and the mainsail halyard would go the opposite way. Is this correct? Does anyone have a photo of a properly configured masthead?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
05/29/2009 7:52 AM Pacific Time

Hi Cam,

I have a 1970 with internal halyards. If you will give me your email address I will send you a pic of my masthead. But after looking at mine, the jib halyard should go over the forward sheave. after running over the sheaves do your lines go down inside the mast or outside?

Greg
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
05/29/2009 6:56 PM Pacific Time

for external halyards, the jib halyard (rope end) would go up over the front sheave and across the aft one and then down the 'back side' of the mast.
the main halyard is the opposite. The wire end goes up the aft side of the mast, over the sheave and over the front sheave and down the front of the mast to the rope end.
Investigate internal halyards. Much simpler and less hassle trying to figure it all out....

Mike Bracket
Gunsmoke 9150
Cam Beech
Byram, MS

Boat Name: Annie Mae

Model/Year: C-22/ 1982

Hull No. 10514

Hailing Port: Ridgeland, MS
05/31/2009 6:42 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the info! Thanks for the photo offer. My email is [email protected]. Any idea how much trouble it would be to convert over to internal halyards?

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Masthead questions