Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Winch - Tight even after Maintenance

Author Winch - Tight even after Maintenance
Patrick Brewer
Bloomington, IL

Boat Name: Drift Away

Model/Year: Capri 22/ 1997

Hull No. 795

Hailing Port: Island Bay Yacht Club
06/01/2009 1:00 PM Pacific Time

I have a Lewmar #7 winch used for sheets that is very tight. I have to use both hands to turn the winch. Since I just bought the boat, I cleaned and regreased/ oiled the winch. It is still very tight.

I did not remove the Centre Stem from the boat, but all the other pieces were cleaned. I did not replace the pawls or the pawl springs as they were in good working condition.

This is what I did:
1) I took off the Circlip and top cap.
2) I pulled off the drum, leaving the crown on the drum with the two upper pawls secure.
3) I pulled out the lower pawls from the drum and placed them in the cleaning solution.
4) I took the washer and placed it into cleaning solution.
5) I pulled out the key and placed it into cleaning solution.
6) I pulled out the spindle and placed it into cleaning solution.
7) I unscrewed the crown, removing the pawls and placed them into cleaning solution.
8) I cleaned off the Centre Stem
9) I cleaned the inside of the drum
10) I removed all the dirt and krudd off of all the other parts.
11) I placed grease on the inside of the drum
12) I placed grease on the Centre Stem, but not on the teeth.
13) I placed grease on the spindle, but not on the teeth.
14) I placed grease on the key.
15) I re-assembled the spindle intothe Centre Stem and placed the key back into it's place.
16) I added the pawls and oiled the pawl springs into the upper part of the drum.
17) I added the crown back onto the drum
18) I added the lower pawls back onto the drum with some grease
19) I placed the washer back onto the Centre Stem
20) I placed the drum onto the Centre Stem
21) I replaced the top cap and circlip back onto the winch.

I am wondering if my greasing of the drum was not correct, because I did not put any grease on the drum where the widens out at the bottom.

Please help.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
06/02/2009 2:29 PM Pacific Time

I have lewmar 7s on my boat. The port side is almost to tight to turn by hand.
I removed the drum but have not had time to clean and grease the parts yet.
There is a small white plastic friction piece on the center shaft that may have some old grease/dirt behind it. Anyway you might try wiping off all grease to see if you have a binding problem or to thick a grease. I may be wrong but since the
drum turns slow and not often the minimum lubricant will work. i don't think the plastic versions use grease at all. Scotchbright and polish may help remove any
tight spots before you re grease the winch. I'll post anything I find as soon as I do mine.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Winch - Tight even after Maintenance