Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Which headsail for new sailor?

Author Which headsail for new sailor?
Tyler
Riverside, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 2625

Hailing Port: Riverside, CA
06/11/2009 10:28 AM Pacific Time

I just bought a 1974 C22 yesterday, and it needs a new headsail (among other things of course). I have almost no sailing experience, and I am not sure which size sail or reefing system I should purchase.

I am in southern California (Riverside) want to start out on small inland lakes, but I might like to try San Diego Bay and eventually Catalina Island (the boats namesake) once I get more confident.

I know I'll eventually need several sizes of headsail, but what would you reccomend to get first? It looks like the common choices are a 110% Jib, 135% Genoa, or 150% Genoa.

It also looks like I need to choose between furling vs hank on. How do I tell what my boat is currently equipped with? Do I need to stay with the reefing system I already have?

Sorry if I'm using some of these terms wrong, I'm a real newbie to sailing. My sailing experience is limited to a boy scout merit badge in "small boat sailing."
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
06/11/2009 12:52 PM Pacific Time

Congradulations on your c22. I do some cruising on the lake and in the gulf area.
On my boat I have a CDI furler which is easy to use and almost indestructable. A 135 is on the furler now but I may purchase a 150 for the next cruise. With a furler you can adjust the sail area for the wind condition easily and keep the boat comfortable. A 135 is a good all around size but with a furler you can reduce the 150 to a 135 without a great loss of flow. I have my boat rigged so I don't have to leave the cockpit, so no balancing on deck to lower sails.
Look up the c22 national sight and find a fleet near you and make a call I have not met a c22 owner the doesn't want to talk sailing. Join the nation assoc. and order the CD. The cd WILL save you money by showing you all about your boat and how and what to buy THE FIRST TIME to do maint. and upgrades. Join a cruising or racing group, you will learn all the mistakes so you won't have to make them. LOL
Tyler
Riverside, CA

Boat Name:

Hull No. 2625

06/15/2009 11:15 AM Pacific Time

Would a 110% be best as an only sail? It sounds like the smaller sail is easier to handle, and necessary if high winds come up.

Since I'm just learning, I'm not too concerned with the performance of my boat.

Would it be safe to have a 150% hank on genoa as the only headsail on the boat?

It sounds like 135% is ideal, but I mostly only see 110s and 150s for sale used!
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
06/15/2009 2:54 PM Pacific Time

A 110 is good sail to have on board. You can sail the boat with just the main or the genoa, but it's really unbalanced with the genoa. After you get comfortable, you can hunt down a 150 and then you all the sails you 'need'. A 135 is a compromise, but not worth it in my opinion.

I have a 90, 110, and a 150, all hanks, that came with the boat. Sailing S.F. Bay year round, they all get their time on deck. Hanks are great for a fast dowse and you can rig a downhaul on the luff to avoid going forward when it's nasty.

I have a suit of racing sails, too. There, just a 150 and a very adjustable main is all I need.

David
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
06/15/2009 3:11 PM Pacific Time

forgot to add: I use the old as dirt, Catalina brand 110 and unknown loft 95 for racing and they seem to do just fine!

David
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/15/2009 11:38 PM Pacific Time

I own a 1972 C22 and would recommend the 110 hank on jib. It's cheaper, easier to use, and won't overpower you as a beginner. Unless you have lots of boat bucks to burn start simple and work your way up to the more expensive stuff like roller furling and 150 genoas, or a compliment of different size sails. You want to have fun and start sailing as soon as possible. If you trailer sail, there is a great group of C22 sailors in Merced sailing with the Lake Yosemite Sailing Club. Check them out on Google. I live in No. Calif. and teach sailing in winter at Pleasant Lake, AZ because they have lots of C22's, and this summer I'm in Port Townsend, WA teaching on a boat called a Thunderbird. If you need any more advise from someone in Calif., David Torisi is a great resource, or I would be able to advise too. Contact me offline at isailynn at yahoo dot com for my phone number. Good Luck!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

06/15/2009 11:46 PM Pacific Time

Yikes! I made a mistrake. The name of the Merced group is "Lake Yosemite Sailing Association". Put the name into Google and you will get their website contact information. Amy Boehme is a C22 sailor and knows a lot about sails and the C22 sailboat as she got 1st place in the 2006 National Regatta Siler Fleet.
Tyler
Riverside, CA

Boat Name:

Hull No. 2625

06/16/2009 10:09 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the great advice! I was able to get a nearly new 110% hank on jib for $200 on eBay- perhaps in a year or so I will go with the roller furling and 150% genoa when I get more confident, and save more money.

I do trailer sail- Merced is a long way north, but it would probably be worth it to get some advice from other C22 sailors.
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
06/18/2009 7:16 AM Pacific Time

Tyler, I agree with comments by Dave and Lynn. I've been sailing my C22 for 11 years with hank-on headsails. Although a roller-furler would be more convenient, I haven't yet been so inconvenienced that I would change from the current system. There's alot to be said for simplicity.

I use a downhaul that I rigged with light line and a tiny turning-block attached to the port side of the pulpit (at the point where the lifeline would attach). This allows me to keep the headsail on the deck when I lower it in windy conditions.

Starting with the 110% was a good move. You will find a 150% to add to your collection soon enough. The 110 will work fine in almost all conditions.

If you think you might want to race in the future (never say never!), you will probably want to stay with hanked-on sails. Weight loft, sail shape, and all that.

Welcome aboard. You're going to love sailing this boat. And lots of free advise hear and on other sites on all things sailing. Take a look at Sailboatowners dot com and Sailnet dot com for starters. At Sailboatowners they have specific forums for trailer-sailors and for brand specific threads.

And join the C22NSA if you haven't already! A wealth of info here, on links to this site, from the monthy 'Mainbrace,' etc.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

06/19/2009 10:49 PM Pacific Time

Yikes I made a mistake after reading my email reply. It was Rachel Hadley who got 1st place in the 2006 C22 Silver Fleet Nationals. Amy and Rachel are great sailors of LYSA in your area that know a lot about C22's so either one would be good to talk to.

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Which headsail for new sailor?