Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Swim Latter treads

Author Swim Latter treads
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
03/13/2004 12:29 PM Pacific Time

I am thinking about buying the swin ladder treads (kit #D1715) from Catalina direct. Has anyone purchased and installed those treads or similar ones?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/13/2004 1:21 PM Pacific Time

I made treads out of wood (a tropical wood similar to teak, but less pricey). They are much easier on the feet than the round tubing. I would recommend either the prefab that CD sells, or a wooden equivalent.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/14/2004 4:55 PM Pacific Time

I added a ladder about 6 months ago. It came with pads attached. I don't want to think how much it would hurt my feet to try to climb up that ladder without pads.. I agree, though, that wooden pads would work just as well.
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
03/15/2004 8:26 PM Pacific Time

Rich, The advantage of the package we sell is the treads are a comfortably shaped plastic. I've had the treads on my ladder for about 12 years and they look the same as the day they were installed. We include the necessary stainless steel rivets, the proper size and type drill bit to drill the stainless tubing, and the correct sealant to seal the plastic to the stainless.

Any material will work, but add wood treads and you have added just one more item which requires routine maintenance, taking away from the time you get to sail.
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

03/19/2004 10:04 AM Pacific Time

Lowell,

Thanks for the info. I will be placing my order for a bunch of stuff from you later this month. The snow is still here in Vermont so I can't get to the boat for a few more weeks.

Rich
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

04/20/2004 7:42 PM Pacific Time

Lowell,

The step kit is on back order. I called Tanya today and hope it will be available by mid-May (ship date at my request is on hold until 5/12) when I hope to continue to work on our C-22.

So far, everything i've got from you has been great.

Thanks,

Rich
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/28/2004 12:27 PM Pacific Time

Rich, I have a set I bought from CD several years ago. Sold the boat before I could get them installed. I would sell them to you at 80% of CD price and I will pay for the shipping. I just have the treads and not the screws or sealer to put them as that was probably robbed for some other project. Call me at 530-470-0511 or e-mail me at [email protected] They are the way to go as Lowell said less maintenance and more comfort!
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

04/29/2004 5:52 AM Pacific Time

Lynn,

Thanks but they have been ordered and I think shipped by CD. We're traveling these next three weeks so if there not at our cabin when we return I 'll call you.

Thanks again for the offer.

Rich Reisner
[email protected]

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Swim Latter treads