Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / How to repair rotten wood holding winch?

Author How to repair rotten wood holding winch?
Tyler
Riverside, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 2625

Hailing Port: Riverside, CA
06/18/2009 9:56 PM Pacific Time

I just discovered that the wood "bridge deck" which the keel winch bolts to has extreme dry rot on my boat. How difficult is this wood to replace? Where can I find information on how to do it?
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
06/19/2009 7:02 AM Pacific Time

Tyler The easiest way to "fix" the bridge is the add a piece of wood (teak or oak) on top of the area. At least 1" thick and cut to the same length and width as the step. Once the fit is good, mark the holes from the underside and drill. Varnish/stain to match and set with 4200 or 5200. I did this to a racing c22 at lake lanier sailing club and it has lasted 4 years so far and took about an hour to complete. I have seen others with a flat piece of 1/4" aluminum plate.

The other method would be to cut out the area from the bottom being careful NOT TO CUT through to the outer skin/gelcoat. Then replace with new wood and re fiberglass.
Tyler
Riverside, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 2625

Hailing Port: Riverside, CA
06/19/2009 9:52 AM Pacific Time

You made my day! Finding that dry rot on my "new" boat before I've gotten to use it really took the proverbial (and literal) wind out of my sails- but this sounds like an easy enough fix.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/19/2009 10:56 PM Pacific Time

All good suggestions for the repair. If memory serves me right in my old age, I think I saw that part listed in the Catalina Direct from the Foredeck Catalog. Click above in the blue area that says "Shop our Store" if you are interested in a full replacement instead of a fix. Good luck sailing soon!

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / How to repair rotten wood holding winch?