Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New Boat (to Me anyway)

Author New Boat (to Me anyway)
kenny brown
charles city, va.

Boat Name: pegasus

Model/Year: catalina 25 sr/sk

Hull No. 2988944px

Hailing Port: urbanna, va,
06/22/2009 2:09 PM Pacific Time

Hi all, Just took ownership of my first sail boat.
A 1977 Catalina 25, Sail #298 SR/SK.
I have been lurking for a while, untill i found a keeper.
Great resource for the Catalina. any input?
Thanks, Kenny
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
06/22/2009 7:18 PM Pacific Time

Welcome, Kenny!
I hope you have many years of enjoyment with your new boat. Nice to know we have older boats and can still get parts, extra stuff for them!
Larry
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/24/2009 9:49 AM Pacific Time

This is a C22 chat site and there is a very good C25 website available also with lots of information. I don't know if you're a beginner but here is some good advice for either boats for a new owner. Check your boat for water leaks by closing all the opening and flooding the top of the boat with someone inside watching for leaks. The bulkheads where the shouds attach, windows and openings around hatchs are always suspect. Fix as soon as possible as water intrusion can cause damage and make an overnight trip miserable if cushions and supplies get wet. If you are a trailer sailor, be sure to make or buy a A Frame or block and tackle for raising the mast. The C25 mast is much heavier than the C22 mast. I've owned 3 of each boat. Check out the shrouds, forestay and backstay for corrosion or "meat hooks", when rig is down by rubbing with a cotton ball. Check the pivot pin, mounting hardware and swing cable connections throughly. If not already there and you have the money add; a split backstay for when sailing on very windy/light days, a boom vang and outhaul with enough purchases to make adjusting easy. If not there and you have the money, lead all the lines aft to the cockpit, and the hydraulic lift for the pop top. We felt two sinks in a 25 foot boat was excess, so we unscrewed the facia on the forward sink, removed the unit, added a hanging bar and made the area a hanging locker with shoe storage below. Behind the head, we fashioned a storage shelf and mounted it for extra toiletry storage. The C25 association has a great website with all sorts of suggestions and modifications. When you join their associaton they give you a password and you can access the chatroom and website just like the C22 National Association has for members only. Good luck and the best advice ever is "Go Sailing!" go often.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New Boat (to Me anyway)