Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / What is the proper way to surf waves?

Author What is the proper way to surf waves?
mike finch
floyd va

Boat Name: Dragon Lady

Model/Year: 22 1986

Hull No. 13605

Hailing Port:
06/26/2009 5:11 PM Pacific Time

I was out on the Pamlico Sound last week and I was sailing downwind with some waves at my stern. I had the 110% jib and a reefed main and I was consistently moving at better than 5.5 knots according to the GPS. I was riding waves and this was powering the boat into the 7, 8 and 9 knot speed ranges. I hit 9.8 knots on the biggest wave. (I have the picture to prove it!)

I was not sailing straight downwind as I was really concerned about the effect of an unintended jibe given my speed and the conditions. The wind was coming over my port quarter.

The problem was that I was fighting the boat the entire three hours I was sailing downwind. The boat acted like it had weather helm and wanted to turn one direction as I was riding the wave and then wanted to turn the other direction at the bottom of the waves. I started the day just flying the 110% jib with no main as I thought that would be an easier way to sail. The helm was no more or less balanced this way.

I ended up sailing much further to port than I wanted to as this is where the boat REALLY wanted to go.

Is this the way that the boat handles in a wave environment? What is a better way to trim/sail the boat in order to make the experience more pleasant?

Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
06/27/2009 6:46 AM Pacific Time

Carefully!

It sounds like you did the right thing. I have found that using a whisker pole sometimes will decrease the weather helm you experienced. It is often good (and gets you to your destination) to not go straight down wind, but to reach a bit, and then jibe between the waves. You will travel a longer distance this way, but the increase in speed and control will get you there faster.

Good luck!!
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
06/28/2009 5:43 AM Pacific Time

The bottom line is that you probably had too much sail up. When going downwind in very windy conditions you can often do without the main all together. That is most likely what was pulling your stern around a lot. Also a storm jib would have helped to slow the boat down.
If you are working hard and struggling with the boat you are most likely overpowered and risking breaking something.
Have a great sailing season.
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
06/28/2009 7:10 AM Pacific Time

Watch this video!

Ken
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
06/28/2009 7:11 AM Pacific Time

Doh! Link did not go through with angle brackets around it. <>
http://www.fisherclub.com/De%20Vloot/Barlow/Vreemde%20eend.html

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/28/2009 8:46 AM Pacific Time

We have raced and cruised for 30 years. When going downwind in waves, put a preventer on! even if you are broad reaching, a wave can slew you around and you do not want an accidental jibe. We tie a line to the boom where the vang connects and run that forward under the sheets to the bow cleet. That way you can still move the jib side to side w/o a problem but the main will only come over when you want her to.

Second, a whisker pole at 8' for the working jib will balance the boat much better, as the wind in both sails either side of the mast will tend to keep the boat pointed straight. We also tend to aim exactly where we want to go, even if it is dead downwind. We find the 22 is fast and comfortable running dead downwind w/the jib poled out. Helm is relatively light and you still surf so it is as fast for us as gybing from side to side. If the wind is still off the quarter when we are on course, we still pole the jib to windward.

Hope this helps. Last thought, most racers put a crew on the bow when going downwind to balance the boat on her lines and pick the stern up a bit. Adds about .5 knot to speed.
Tom
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
06/28/2009 9:58 AM Pacific Time

Be careful around waves and make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to!
Here's a link featuring a Santana 22 that shows the wrong way to surf waves:
http://photos.sfsurvey.com/sailH/index.asp

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / What is the proper way to surf waves?