Anchoring

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / The Right Anchor

Author The Right Anchor
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
07/02/2009 9:56 AM Pacific Time

Currently I sail in fairly protected waters, no tides, frequently able to anchor close to shore and tie a stern-line to a tree or rock. My primary anchor is a 8 - 10 lb. 'Hooker Quick Set' (Danforth type) with 10' of 1/4" chain and 100' of 3/8" 3-strand nylon rode. My secondary is a 6 lb. folding grapnel with 10' of 1/4" chain and 60' of the 3/8" nylon rode. These anchors suit my current needs well.

I contemplate trailering to the Gulf, Chesapeake, Great Lakes, etc. and thus will need to beef up the ground tackle. I like what I hear about the Manson and Racna anchors but, in spite of what the manufacturers state as the right size for a given boat, I am in a quandary as to what size anchor, what size and how much chain, what size and how much rode. Any suggestions out there?
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
07/03/2009 5:18 AM Pacific Time

Until recently we were firm believers in Delta anchors for the variety of bottom situations found when traveling. A standard 14 pound Delta will fit sideways in the anchor well of most newer C22s and makes a good everyday anchor. A 22 pound Delta makes a good storm anchor. The Delta anchors are very easy to handle because they are a solid (not hinged) unit. Each anchor should have a boat length of 1/4 high test chain and 200 - 300 feet of 7/16 New England Ropes Premium line (worth getting because it stays soft and pliable). The anchors, chain, and line can be purchased most anywhere. However, you must match the strength of the shakles to the rest of the system. The rule of thumb is one size bigger shakle than the chain. But, not all shakles are created equal!! You basically have 4 levels of quality when it comes to shakles: 1) Generic foreign made shakles (very weak and it is what you usually get at West Marine); 2) "Crosby" standard shakles (American made - stronger); 3) "Crosby" orange pin shakles (even stronger); 4) "Crosby High Test Shakles" with silver pin (the best and actually the ONLY ones that match in strength of the rest of the system if you get one size bigger than the chain!!!). All "Crosby" shakles can be purchased at Hamilton Marine. We are in no way related to any of the products or businesses mentioned and we are not interested in the "buying domestic vs foreign debate". Also for those of you who do not have anchor wells and also for storm anchors all line and chain flakes easily into the blue mesh anchor rode bags that can be purchased from Fisheries Supply. The anchor just sits on top of the line and the shank rests between the handles for easy carrying of a stable package that deploys without tangles.
That said --- we recently added a much larger boat to our collection for which we purchased a Rocna anchor (despite already having two CQRs and a Bruce). Now I am a firm believer that the new generation anchors, such as Rocna and Spade are much improved over the previous styles.
As a final note I would like to point out that when dealing with anchors: Size AND weight does count!!
Enough said.

Anchoring
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / The Right Anchor