Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Bow nav lights: What's on your boat?

Author Bow nav lights: What's on your boat?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/10/2009 11:56 AM Pacific Time

Currently, Dumbo has this arrangement:
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/Details/DSCF1970
The brackets are pop riveted on and a tad sketchy. The lights are in dire need of replacement. Corrosion and UV have taken their toll. I could just replace them with the same after re-securing the brackets, but I'd like to know what others are using. It's a rare event when I actually 'need' them, but I'd like to get something that will work when I need it to. Another important issue is I don't want something that will foul spinnaker sheets or the sail. A bicolor dangling on a single bracket on the pulpit would work but is likely to foul a sheet.

What's on your boat and are your truly happy with it?

Thanks!
David
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
07/10/2009 11:35 PM Pacific Time

My '88 has a single red/green split color one mounted below the center front of the pulpit, had been knocked off by the previous owner, came with the boat in a box in pieces and I just replaced it. Seems like a sorta of precarious place for it, don't know how long it will manage to stay there without getting knocked off again.
I think having a light on each side like you have may give better visibility.
Will be interesting to see what you finally decide.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/11/2009 12:34 PM Pacific Time

David, my arrangemant is like Ken's. The unit is Aqua-Signal. I have not had any problem with wrapping a sheet around it. I fly 110, 135, 150 and a cruising chute.

BTW like your sheet/turnbuckle bag. I made one this year that slips over the mast, holds sheets and rigging and has a piece of satro turf sewn in as a cushin for the mast cradle when launching.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/14/2009 10:47 AM Pacific Time

Ken and R.C.
Thanks for the replies. The mono-lite does seem to be asking for trouble, doesn't it? I've been pondering it for the last few days and it seems that securing the brackets and buying replacement lights is the fastest and likely easiest way to go. The brackets were originally screwed in with sheet metal screws but they gave out years ago. I have some stainless pop rivets that will likely do the job. Welding would be best, but I'm just to cheap to have that done.

R.C. : That bag is great for keeping the halyards and all the mast lines protected from UV. I run the halyards up to the top so that only the shackle is exposed, coil the halyards and stuff 'em in the bag. I do the same thing when the mast is stepped, too. I just attach a long piece of inexpensive line to all the shackles and run em up. Halyards are 5 years old and still look new.

Thanks again guys!
David

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Bow nav lights: What's on your boat?