Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Will my 01 honda odyssey van pull a 22' cat with 4 kids and 2 adults?

Author Will my 01 honda odyssey van pull a 22' cat with 4 kids and 2 adults?
Monica A Rodriguez
Portland, Oregon

Boat Name: Mar y Sol

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Portland
07/12/2009 11:52 AM Pacific Time

I just added a transmission cooler to the van and before I put a hitch on it
I need to know that my van can pull it.
The manual says it can pull around 3000lbs. Not sure what the trailrite trailer and boat weigh.

Anyone out there know?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/13/2009 11:10 AM Pacific Time

boat and trailer weight can vary. it would not be impossible for the boat and trailer and gear to weigh 3000 pounds. if you don't have one, you would have to borrow or rent (home depot has them) a tow vehicle and take the boat and trailer with gear and motor on/in it to a truck scale for weighing to be sure. as far as your van pulling it, that's a yes, but can it stop it in an emergency breaking situation and is it legal. ca requires a independent trailer breaking system on the trailers for towing over 2800 lbs. i've seen lots of people pull their C22's with smaller vehicles than a honda odessy, but that doesn't mean it's safe or legal, and may void your car warranty if it has one. my first thoughts would be safety for my family and the public, and am i breaking the law? just my humble opinion!
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/13/2009 12:59 PM Pacific Time

Monica,
You'll get lots of opinions on this topic. It's been discussed here and on other forums. I think one guy even used a Wrangler. You vehicle owners manual should give you all the capacity info for your van. If you are loading it up with sailors, you also need to consider the GVWR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating

I don't recall where I got the number, but I seem to recall the trailer weighing approx 700#. It seems about right if you've ever tried to lift up just the trailer to ooch it over a bit. That puts your total at 3000#, give or take.

Trailer brakes are another issue as Lynn mentions. I've pulled (and stopped) my C22 with a Toyota 4Runner. Getting it moving was a strain. Stopping it was a bit more of an effort. Luckily, I never had to do an emergency stop and most of my trailering was local, flat stuff. I've since changed to a full size truck (for lots of reasons) and I like the tow vehicle to trailer weight ratio a whole lot better. Still, no brakes on the trailer, but this 3/4T truck should stop it just fine.

Good luck with the boat! They are a lot of fun!
David

Tyler
Riverside, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 2625

Hailing Port: Riverside, CA
07/24/2009 11:58 AM Pacific Time

What is the rated towing capacity of your odyssey?

I tow my 1974 C22 with a 1987 Volvo 740 Turbo wagon (4 cylinder, 2.3 liter, automatic, RWD). It pulls it almost effortlessly, and will even pull the boat up a steep ramp without any tire slipping just off idle. It's factory rated to 3,300 lbs capacity before all of the upgrades I did which include a huge transmission cooler, larger radiator, auxilary cooling fan, high boiling point brake fluid, ceramic brake pads, locking rear axle differential, rear spring lifts, a class III hitch, all synthetic fluids, transmission temp gauge, coolant level alarm, and truck tires.

I probably didn't need all of this, but I feel a lot safer with the heavily upgraded brakes, transmission cooling, and hitch. I also live in an extremely mountainous area.
Tyler
Riverside, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 2625

Hailing Port: Riverside, CA
07/24/2009 12:02 PM Pacific Time

I just looked up and noticed that your odyssey is front wheel drive. This might make it difficult or impossible to tow the boat up a slippery ramp, especially without a limited slip differential.

Since your rated capacity is close to the weight of the boat, I think you'd be perfectly safe if you drive carefully and do some basic upgrades like I did, but there's a good chance you simply won't get enough traction to climb the ramp. You could try it, and bring a tow strap and/or come-a-long to get help from others if you can't make it up the ramp.
Todd
Bethesda, MD

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1988

Hull No. 14441

Hailing Port: Chesapeake
02/16/2010 9:13 AM Pacific Time

Hello, I am wondering if the Odyssey would be able to launch and retrieve a Capri 22 with wing keel if the trailer has a 6' tongue extension. We have traction control. Would this help?

I just want to be able to move it around the boat yard and trailer sail it so I won't be taking it on the roads.

Thanks for any help.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Will my 01 honda odyssey van pull a 22' cat with 4 kids and 2 adults?