Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / how do i remove keel cable eye bolt?

Author how do i remove keel cable eye bolt?
sean olsen
north attleboro, ma

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1972?

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/08/2009 11:11 AM Pacific Time

there is a crack on the top of the eye bolt that attaches to the cable. any ideas on how to remove it? or maybe i should weld it. or just tap a new hole? any advise you have would be great. thanks
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
08/08/2009 8:24 PM Pacific Time

The eye boly is threaded into the keel , but, I dought if you can get it out. It maybe best to try and if it breaks off drill it out tap a new hole and start over.
It is not all that bad a job. Took me about 2 hrs.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
08/09/2009 5:14 PM Pacific Time

Try putting a torch to it first. The cast iron and stainless will expand at different rates and hopefully break the corrosion. Tap gently with a hammer. Hit it with PB Blaster or similar product when it cools and try screwing it out. Go easy and try not to break it off. Heat it again if necessary and try it while hot. If it still won't move, you can try heating it and then quenching with cold water. If you get it hot enough, you should be able to loosen it enough to remove it.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
08/10/2009 7:11 AM Pacific Time

In addition to the above suggestions, don't try to just unscrew it, but loosen then tighten, loosen then tighten and keep doing this in small increments. Sometimes when you think it's unscrewing it's just the metal fatiguing until it snaps off (done that).

Peter

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / how do i remove keel cable eye bolt?