Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Gash in unlined v-berth storage compartment

Author Gash in unlined v-berth storage compartment
Monica A Rodriguez
Portland, Oregon

Boat Name: Mar y Sol

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Portland
08/20/2009 10:43 AM Pacific Time

I was looking to move my battery to the under v-berth storage compartment.
In the 2nd unlined compartment i noticed a gash along the side of the aft wall.
Looking at the hull bottom around the area I do not see any substantial damage but there is a gash on the inside.
What to do?
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
08/21/2009 9:51 AM Pacific Time

When the boat is constructed, they lay up the gel coat and then the various layers of glass, mat, wood if used, etc. into the mold. The last coat is usually sprayed in and it is a mixture of resin and chopped glass. You can see this very rough coating on all the unlined surfaces in the hull. The question is, does the gash go into the actual glass part of the hull or is it just in that rough final coating? If the glass is intact, I would not worry about it. If there was damage to the hull that was repaired, you would most likely see the glass on the inside was sanded down and a "sandwich" patch applied between the inner and outer hull if it was done correctly. Of course, one never knows! If there was a gash in the hull and it was repaired from the outside only, that would be a weak patch. You could see a repair if you sanded off the bottom paint in that area the next time you do the bottom. If that was the case, you could grind down the rough glass on the inside until you get to the repair and then build up successive layers of glass, each one larger than the previous. This makes an extremely strong repair patch and would not require any outer hull work. Is it possible to contact the PO to find out if work was done? If not, I would try to find someone who has hull repair experience and who can examine the area and give you an informed opinion on what, if anything, needs to be done. But above all-DON'T WORRY! It's lasted this long and will most likely make it until you can get a definitive answer. Remember, when your not sure what to do, it's probably better to do nothing!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/21/2009 11:14 AM Pacific Time

Be careful about placing the battery in an area that is very confined and there is little air movement. Batteries put off a toxic gas and sleeping on top of one in a small enclosed area where the air doesn't move could be dangerous. This topic has been discussed here before and most people said it was better to put it aft where the area is much more open and near the compainonway and two large opening hatches in your year boat. I don't store gas inside my boat (a 1973), but before I first get in the boat I make sure to open my two cockpit hatches and compainionway hatches to ventilate the boat if it has been sitting for more than a day closed up. I also have a stern vent, a Nicro 3 inch passive cowl vent on the bow that stays facing forward into the wind and slots on my hatch boards to allow air movement while the boat is locked up.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Gash in unlined v-berth storage compartment