Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rudder Lock Tang

Author Rudder Lock Tang
Jim Kaba
Millstone Twp, NJ

Boat Name: C'est Si Bon

Model/Year: C22 '74 swing keel

Hull No. 3236

Hailing Port: Toms River, NJ
08/26/2009 7:46 PM Pacific Time

Can someone post or point out some web links to pictures or discussions of how the rudder lock tang is supposed to work? Details of where it is supposed to be mounted and exactly how it is supposed to hold the rudder down would be appreciated.

My "new" '74 C-22 with a kick-up rudder does not have one -- so any type of instructions or hints for retrofitting it would come in handy.

(I already ordered and received a lock tang from Catalina Direct, but no instructions were included...)

Thanks!
Jim
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/27/2009 10:30 AM Pacific Time

Jim,
I used a dinghy version, but it's likely the same. I hung the rudder and then held the tang so it is on the rudder just below the upper pintle. The upper edge of the tang should snap just under the outer edge of the gudgeon. Mark the two mounting holes with a sharpie and then drill and mount it. You may have to bend the tang to get is just right. I don't have a photo, but it could look something like this:
] |
\ |
\ |
||
||
Now, having said all that, in retrospect, I would opt for a hole in the upper pintle and a hitch pin to go though it. The tang is a PIA when removing the rudder!
David
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
08/27/2009 10:52 AM Pacific Time

Well, the asci art was a failure, but maybe you get the idea.
David
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
08/27/2009 12:58 PM Pacific Time

Drilling a small hole in the Pintle and using a cotter pin is a great idea. I don't like the tang either. My '75 didn't have anything and the rudder assembly would just pop off the gudgeons instead of swinging up as intended, whenever the rudder struck ground.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/27/2009 6:44 PM Pacific Time

the tang is mounted as david described. it's function is to keep the top rudder pintle from popping up out of the gudgeon. i also think a hole in the pintle and a pin is a more foolproof arrangement. my fixed rudder sits to low when the boat is launched from a trailer, so i put it on once in the water. i keep an extra pin handy in my tool box or you can put a tether on the one you use as it may want to sprout wings and then take a dive to the waters bottom very quickly.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
08/28/2009 1:09 AM Pacific Time

Hi,
Maybe if you look at the picture of the rudder assy. here:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=716

The tang is mounted under the top pintle. but probably needs to be bent out a bit so that it touches the lower /side of the pintle.

Since i keep my boat in water for the summer I decided that the rudder stays in the cabin. I use this often and it works ok. Better than not having a tang and eventually losing the rudder at a bad moment..
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
08/29/2009 6:44 AM Pacific Time

When the top pin slides down into the gudgeon, the tang is compressed as it slides down on the gudgeon. When the pin is fully seated, the tang pops out under spring tension and seats itself under the gudgeon bottom lip, preventing the assembly from being pushed out unexpectedly. To remove the rudder, you press the tang in while lifting the assembly off the gudgeons.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rudder Lock Tang