Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Water between floor and hull under the table_ please help

Author Water between floor and hull under the table_ please help
Marcin
Chicago Il

Boat Name: Catalina22

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/27/2009 2:14 PM Pacific Time

Hi everyone. I bought Catalina 22 1984 one month ago. For last couple days was raining really bad.The boat is on trailer. Yesterday i found out that one of the window on sterboard was leaking.But I'm really worry about the water that is between the flloor and hull under the table.Is that serious problem and how to fix it. Thanks for any advice.
Marcin
Ron Peak
Grove, OK

Boat Name: Quiet Time

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. 9772

Hailing Port: Cedar Cove, Grand Lake, OK
08/28/2009 7:22 AM Pacific Time

With your boat on the trailer the water has probably found the lowest point. This water could come from lots of places, but most likely from either from the cockpit drains or from wind driven rain that found its way into the cockpit lockers or into the vents (if you have them) for the port compartment where your fuel tank would normally be stored. If it isn't a lot of water, then you simply want to dry it out when you find it. I think my boat "stores" a little water under the cockpit floor, because when I get on the boat (after heavy rain and wind), and look at the bilge, it is dry -- but after I spend some time in the cockpit and look at the bilge again, there is a little water (probably less than 1/8 cup). When I was much younger I would have invested hours in tracking down the source -- but now I don't worry, but still check it on a regular basis. If i start having water in the bilge, and there hasn't been any rain, then I will switch into the worry mode. Ron
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
08/28/2009 2:56 PM Pacific Time

Ron is correct. If the window is leaking, and there are other places the boat will leak with a good rain as he mentioned, as they are not water tight boats (vent cowels & compainoway) when stored on a trailer. It is just a case of knowing and keeping a towel or sponge handy for clean ups. You will eventually want to re-do the windows as those leaks are fixable and can migrate to the cushions and cause mildew and wet sleeping if you boat camp. Be sure to check all the seals on any opening hatches in the V-berth and cockpit. A few dollars spent on new foam seals on the hatches, will stop or slow water intrusion especially during a heavy rainfall or while washing the boat. Another thing I do as I store my boat on a trailer in the driveway is to jack up the front of the trailer so the boat has the bow elevated, sending any water to the back of the boat in the cockpit and interior, where it is easier to see and wipe up. My boat is a 1973 and my husband added the aftermarket stern drains from Catalina Direct as the forward drains are very small and slow to drain and will freeze up in climates so inclined, and can cause major problems during winter storage. Another cheap option to cut down on rain induced leaks is to tarp the boom (mast stepped) or mast (unstepped) with a waterproof tarp so the rain runs away from the widows and companionway hatch to the cabin. Some people purchase a fitted C22 sunbrella boat cover that lays on the deck to cover the windows and compainionway. I prefer the tarped boom as it allows more air circulation and doubles as a sun/rain protection when boat camping. If you don't like the looks of the plastic ones, you can make or have someone make a 8' x 8' sunbrella tarp with grommets that will last years. I would not recommend stuffing sponges in cowel vents as they are there to provide air circulation which cuts down on odors and slowing mildew. So that's my two cents worth on stopping leaks to the interior when your boat sits on a trailer. Once it's in the water, you will probably some day be faced with a whole new set of leaks and solutions to stopping them. Good Luck!
Marcin
Chicago Il

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/29/2009 7:39 AM Pacific Time

HI.THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICES.I'm REALLY APPRECIATE THAT.HAVE A NICE DAY.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
08/29/2009 10:18 AM Pacific Time

Don Casey has a good way to find deck leaks in his book "This Old Boat" which involves a leaf blower, duct tape, plastic and soapy water. The basic jist of his method it to pressurize the inside of the cabin with the leaf blower and use the soapy water to find the leaks in much the same way you would find a leak in an inner tube.
Marcin
Chicago Il

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/11/2009 1:24 PM Pacific Time

Hi. I have rise front of the trailer up and some water leaked out but still there is some water under the dinette floor. I read on this forum that some people have drilled holes to drain the water or to use shop vac. Where should i drill them? I'm afraid that i can damage something.Thanks
Eric Sachau
Tulsa, OK

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/12/2009 7:07 AM Pacific Time

you are on the right track. do it again. raise the front of the trailer as high as possible....until the back of the boat or trailer is on the ground. leave it overnight. next day you should be able to mop up the water from the access where your battery sits without having drilled holes.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Water between floor and hull under the table_ please help