Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Bearings maintenance?????

Author Bearings maintenance?????
Marcin
Chicago Il

Boat Name: Catalina22

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/03/2009 2:36 PM Pacific Time

Hi. I just bought c22 1984 with double axel trailer with tie down protectors( similar to bearing buddy).I have no idea what kind of grease is in.Can I add with grease gun just regular marine grease? How to do bearing maintenance properly? Thanks for advice.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
09/04/2009 7:38 AM Pacific Time

It is usually not a good idea to mix grease types as they may have incompatable additives. Your best bet is to remove the bearings and wash them clean with solvent (kerosine works well) and blow dry (but don't let them spin fast when drying). Inspect for any corrosion or worn spots. Then repack with a good marine grease before reinstalling. It is also a good idea to replace the seal at the back of the hub at this time. You can then keep them topped up when necessary using the grease fitting and the same type grease you packed them with.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/04/2009 7:51 AM Pacific Time

I found over the years that most people don't know how to pack a roller bearing. The method that I use is to put a glob of grease in one hand and push the bearing edge into that glob until the grease comes out of the top edge of the bearing. Keep working around the circumference until grease has pushed up out of the entire bearing. When you get ready to reassemble the hubs, add a thick layer of grease around the inner circumference of the hub. put a light coat of grease on the inside of the dust cover if you don't have bearing buddies to prevent rust in that area. After torquing the nut down to proper specs, coat the nut and washer with grease also.

This is not a hard job but one that will pay BIG dividends in no bearing failure on the highway. Believe me, I have learned this lesson the hard way. I re-pack and inspect bearings annually.

Greg
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
09/06/2009 7:49 AM Pacific Time

Greg, I repack my the exact same way as you do and it's served me well for many years. Never use gas to clean bearings, gas will leave behind solvents and additives that will break down grease.

Craig
C22 Toujours' ete
Al Hughes
San Jose Ca

Boat Name: Aegir

Model/Year: C-22 1970

Hull No. 81

Hailing Port:
12/09/2009 3:31 AM Pacific Time

I'm looking to replace my bearings. Does any one know the number for the bearings, both the inside and out side races? I have a 1970 Trailrite Trailer. I would appreciate this information. Thanks AL
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
12/09/2009 11:33 AM Pacific Time

Al,
Your safest bet it to remove the old ones and get exact replacements using part number on the races and confirming with measurements. Not the easiest method, but you'll only have to buy them once. Orlandi Trailers in San Jose is a good bet for local parts.
Fair winds!
David
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
12/09/2009 6:49 PM Pacific Time

Want to go the easy way and not spend much more money than you would for total overhaul of your existing hub-? Not into doing your own maintenance or getting your hands too greasy? Just want to take the quick fix?

Go to Northern Handyman (Nothern Tool?) or a similar store, trailer dealer. Buy a new hub containing new, greased bearings/races/seals. Remove the old hubs containing the old bearings. Replace with the new geased bearings/hubs, etc. Repaired. $$$$ Now you know what you have. Double check that the new bearings are greased well!!!.

Or, buy any number of new hubs you may want to spring for, replace those/that one, rebuild it and replace the hubs one at a time in this manner.

I keep the items in a plastic, snap lid container in the back of my vehicle while on the road. It's one of those 5 gal buckets, and I can get my jack, tools, rags grease, spare hub in there. My 4 way lug wrench won't fit!! Won't blow out of my pickup, either!! I took a permanent marker and wrote the name of items in the bucket on the lid, as I have several of them I use for 'things', and I always pick the right one for the purpose intended.

You can find ALL of those bearings/hubs trailer parts at Northern Handyman, or any trailer shop. Tractor Supply? Don't know the number of the hub parts? Bearing shops will handle that. Or, just compare with those hanging in packs at Northern Handyman (Northern Tools or whatever they call it now)

I know you have 4 hubs. A dual axle trailer on a C22 and S2 7.9 I have/had and they never gave me any problem at all with the maintained bearings, probably because the weight was so well distributed over 4 hubs, as opposed to two. Extra cost, but a dual axle is the way to go for sweet towing. You WILL love that trailer. Is that the boat which was on ebay with the great looking dual axle trailer?

Mixing grease with the present hubs? If I didn't know the rig, I'd want to see the color of the grease before I did anything. If, after removing the front part of the hub you see whitish grease, it has been compromised by water, and the back seal has leaked. Rebuild/replace the hub. If the grease is nice, dark, grease "color", I would repack the bearings, if there was any sounds/rocking athwartship in the wheel. (See next paragraph.)

Generally, you can tell if the bearing is going bad by jacking the wheel off the ground. Roll it slowly, then fast. Listen carefully. You should NOT be able to hear anything other abnormal/metallic/grinding sound. Grasp the wheel at the 12 and 6 O'clock position. Try to rock the wheel athwartship, not turn it. Grasp the wheel at the 3 and 9 O'clock positions. Rock the wheel athwartship, not turn it. If the wheel rocks, is loose, that generally is a worn bearing. You may be able to tighten the hub nut and solve the loose motion, but you should not be able to hear any rubbing/grinding sounds-unless you have a brake. You might hear something associated with a brake pad dragging very slightly.

While towing, at every stop, walk back, check the heat in your hubs by feeling the hub on the metal portion between the lugs and grease cap. It should NEVER be hot. They may be warm to the touch, but the cooler the better. HOT? You have a problem. You'll eventually gain enough confidence in the well-maintained bearings so there won't be all that much concern in a bearing failure.

Anyway, this may not be what others do, but from 1959-2009, this is what I have done- Yes, I have had 1 bearing failure in those years, right when I first started sailing. Didn't know any better on the bearing maintenance. One bad road trip taught me a valuable $$$$ lesson!

Well........we didn't have a Northern Handy man, etc., in the old days. We just rebuilt the hub. When you get a bit older, have more convenience, you want to make some things a bit easier. The extra hub works for me, although I haven't used one yet-on the road. One rebult and replaced hub replacement, at home, a year, keeps me on the road, although I don't travel near as much as I once did!

I have owned 3 C22's (6991, new in '76, 3101, '73 w/dual axle trailer, and present boat 2229, '73) , motor boats, larger trailerable sailboats and feel that I can speak with some experience. But, I only know what has worked for me. You'll find what works for you, and hopefully you will have no bad$$$$$ experiences on the road to sailing fun!!!!

Good luck,
Larry in SC
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
12/10/2009 11:12 AM Pacific Time

Clean them, repack them or when in doubt, replace them. The price is cheap so you will never feel you were throwing away your money. Bad bearings will give you a BAD time.

I just took my old bearings to a Napa parts store and said, I want new bearings, do you have any of these? They looked up the part numbers and said "no problem!"
Al Hughes
San Jose Ca

Boat Name: Aegir

Model/Year: C-22 1970

Hull No. 81

Hailing Port:
12/11/2009 8:34 PM Pacific Time

Thanks to all of you for the information on the bearings for my trailer. Fair winds AL

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Bearings maintenance?????