Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / At slip over winter

Author At slip over winter
Dale R. Bezzard
Manheim, PA

Boat Name: Hocus Pocus

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1986

Hull No. 13654

Hailing Port: Worton Creek, MD
09/08/2009 5:36 AM Pacific Time

We decided to keep our C22 in the water this winter (Worton Creek, MD) can get below freezing. This is our first time doing this. The boat will have a bubbler system around it. What should I do with/to the engine (Evinrude 6hp)?? We plan to use the boat on/off all winter. Thanks, Dale
Peter
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: Au Contraire

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1986

Hull No. 13325

Hailing Port: Stamford
09/09/2009 5:32 AM Pacific Time

I keep my boat in Long Island sound through the winter, at least every other year. The bubble system works great. I do not do anything with the boat or the motor other than remove the sails and cushions from the boat, so they do not get mildew. I also remove any liquids from the boat that are likely to freeze.
I always think that I might take it out on one of those rare warm winter days. But, I never do.
When spring comes I pull the starter cord 4 times (instead of once as usual) to start the motor and sail off to my summer slip about 5 miles away.
When the weather gets warm I rub the slime off the bottom.
Every second or third year I haul the boat, keep it on the trailer for the winter, do routine maintenance and put it back in the sound spring time.
Pretty simple!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/11/2009 2:28 PM Pacific Time

A fellow yacht club member kept his boat on a mooring ball for the winter (4000 ft. elevation) on our local lake, against recommendations. His scupper holes froze up, the cockpit filled with frozen ice and snow above the hatch boards, and as the snow and ice melted it leaked into the cabin through the bottom compainonway hatch board. This freeze, thaw, fill cycle went on until the boat sank. Because he had a gas tank on board, the motor and a battery it was treated as a hazmat spill and it cost him big bucks for the hazmat as well as to have the boat floated. Now the lake management makes up pull all the boats off by Oct. 1st. Unless you have a way to check and get to your boat easily, I would not leave it on the water in snow country.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / At slip over winter