Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Boom Tent for C-22

Author Boom Tent for C-22
Michael R Cohen
Branford

Boat Name: Moon Jelly II

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Branford, Ct
10/03/2009 9:15 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone have a design for a simple boom tent?

I was tied up over night. I just threw a tarp over the boom and life lines and tied it down to the brackets on the life line stantions. It worked very well, I spent a comfortable night sleeping on the cockpit bench cushions.

It seems as if adding a flap to the front (that goes around the mast), and a flap to the back (that goes around the rear pulpit) would make a simple, light boom tent that would be easy to install. if you wanted to get fancy, you could add some windows and mosquito netting for ventilation and light.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on design, materials or how to get it made up?

Thanks,

Mike Cohen

Bill Braun & Christine Sammel
Evanston, Illinois

Boat Name: Da Doo Run Run

Model/Year: 1989 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14840

Hailing Port: Wilmette, Illinois
10/05/2009 7:37 PM Pacific Time

Mike,
We often use a tarp draped over the boom as an at-the-mooring sun shade. Once we stayed overnight, and put a second tarp around the stern end of the first tarp, for privacy. We didn't do anything fancier than that, though.
Do you use your pop-top? A very nice pop-top cover with plastic windows came with our boat. We have bug screens for the hatch and the companionway. So that we wind up with a setup that seems to be what you're describing, only we use the pop-top and cabin interior.
Christine
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/06/2009 12:09 AM Pacific Time

I use a plastic tarp and use the boat hook across the back and the whisker pole across the boom behind the mast. I don't see why you would want to put a flap around the mast. I sew and made a tarp out of nylon for a C30 we once owned and it had a flap in the back, but not the front. I know Chip Ford has written articles about this with dimensions for different size tarps for the MainBrace C22 National Sailing Association Magazine, and has a website where you could find this information. There are several articles with directions in the C22 Natl. Sailing Assn. Tech Manual for covers, even ones for the hatches.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/06/2009 12:15 AM Pacific Time

Michael, if you typed the number correctly, the Hull Number indicates your C22 is a 1982 model not a 1984. It's possible the boat was built in 1982 but didn't get sold/registered until 1984, but the HIN number you have is for a 1982. I have a pop top cover made of marine grade vinyl, the kind Catalina Direct sells for sale here in CA. I no longer own a pop top as I bought and older model which isn't a pop top. If you are interested in buying it give me an email at [email protected]

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Boom Tent for C-22