Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / old alluminum spreaders broken, want to upgrade

Author old alluminum spreaders broken, want to upgrade
sean olsen
north attleboro, ma

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1972?

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/12/2009 5:21 AM Pacific Time

i was taking my catalina 22 out for her first sail yesterday after a summer of work and the damm spreader bracket broke!! im very disheartened. i have the old alluminum kind. any advise of replacing and making this stronger than the original. whats the deal with these compression sleves? do the old boats have them? im going to have some stainless brackets made at my local metal shop. i think i would like to have a few more through bolts as it looks like mostly sheet metal screws. any advise is greatly appreciated.
thanks
sean
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/12/2009 7:16 AM Pacific Time

Sean, did you see the SS spreader brackets from CD?

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=477

sean olsen
north attleboro, ma

Boat Name:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/12/2009 3:32 PM Pacific Time

will those work on the old masts? early 70s oval shaped. do i need a compression tube? there is no through bolts at all on my current bracket. this seems very week.
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
10/13/2009 4:12 AM Pacific Time

Sean, No need to reinvent the wheel. Get the brackets from CD. They have them for both the old and new style masts. Included with them is a compression tube. Fairly simple to install the only challenging part is positioning the compression tube inside the mast. I have done this upgrade on two masts. Once I taped the compression tube to a length of PVC pipe that I marked for length before putting it inside the mast. Once the through bolt was put through it I pulled the PVC out breaking the tape. The other time I used a 16 foot tape measure and used basically the same tech. Either way, or I am sure many other techniques, can be used without too much difficulty. Be sure to use the teff gel (sp) that is also included with the bracket to isolate the stainless from aluminum parts. For anybody else who is still sailing their boats with the old cast aluminum spreader brackets, inspect them closely and frequently until you replace them. But do replace them sooner rather than later or you may be replacing a mast as well.
sean olsen
north attleboro, ma

Boat Name:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/13/2009 5:34 AM Pacific Time

thanks alot glen. sounds good.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/13/2009 6:53 AM Pacific Time

After breaking about 5 aluminum brackets on an old oval mast, I went with the CD stainless and they are fine. Compression sleeve is not that difficult to get in, and once its in you are set and don't have to worry about the spreaders anymore.

Tom Beaumont
Quixotic #7555
Chesapeake

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / old alluminum spreaders broken, want to upgrade