Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing Winches with Ratcheting Genoa Blocks

Author Replacing Winches with Ratcheting Genoa Blocks
Joe Sciarrone
fresno, ca

Boat Name: pending sail

Model/Year: catalina 22 / 1972

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Fresno
10/18/2009 9:11 PM Pacific Time

Has anybody replaced their Winches with the Harken Ratcheting Blocks that Cataling direct sells. I've got a pretty good idea how they install but I've not been able to find any installation instructions, even on the Harken site.

My questions are:
Do I need to also need to adjust my clam cleat position, and, do i need to use a clam cleat riser anymore?
What angle is best?

Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
11/20/2009 2:47 PM Pacific Time

Joe. I think you mean cam cleats rather than clam cleats. The cam cleat is the one with two cams that hold the sheet in place. The clam cleat is the one that looks like a partly opened clam shell.

I know that lots of racers have replaced their winches with ratcheting blocks, so maybe you'll get some discussion going if you post the question to the racing thread. You might also try Sailnet or SailboatOwners dot com. Both have lots of subscribers, many of whom might have made this mod on their boats.
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
11/23/2009 5:59 AM Pacific Time

Joe, I think that with the use of the ratcheting blocks you will no longer use the cam cleats.

Craig
C22 Toujours ete

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Replacing Winches with Ratcheting Genoa Blocks