Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / trailering my c-22 to texas

Author trailering my c-22 to texas
dennis newman
boulder, co

Boat Name: my space

Model/Year: c22, 1988

Hull No. 14443

Hailing Port: boulder, co
02/04/2010 12:15 PM Pacific Time

Hello
In need of some good advise. I am planning on trailering my c-22 to kemah from boulder, co, approx 1100 miles. My towing vehicle is a 2002 Ford, 6cyl, 4.0 L Ranger P/U. Trailer is in good condition, but needs new tires. Will it be a safe journey or do I need a beefier tow vehicle.
Thanks
Dennis
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
02/04/2010 3:08 PM Pacific Time

Dennis,
You may want to verify that the vehicles tow capacity if you haven't already. Both pulling and stopping are considerations. If it's a one shot deal and you tow with that truck already, you'd probably be fine.

I used to pull my C22 with a 4Runner (3.4l) and I wasn't very happy with that. I now have a big ol' ozone depleting truck and towing isn't an issue. I've done lots of short haul and one trip from S.F., CA to Phoenix. No big issue for the Chevy.

You'll find opinions vary (Toyota Corolla to Peterbilt) but you're the one behind the wheel and should be as comfortable as possible.

Hope that helps a bit.
David
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/05/2010 5:34 AM Pacific Time

Dennis, imho your Ranger is not beefy enough. I have towed mine with my wife's Explorer and had some trepidations. Some things to consider:
1. Round trip or one way?
2. Does the trailer have brakes?
3. When are you planning on going? Winter weather could be problematic.
4. How many people?

You might consider renting a pick-up or SUV. I know that Enterprise rents these.

Like Dave, I too tow mine with a gas guzzler, and the hole in the ozone layer follows me around like Joe Btitzfik in the old Dick Tracy comics. On the other hand, I feel safe with my boat behind me.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
02/05/2010 12:24 PM Pacific Time

Just as an aside for you people with you "gas guzzlers", you burn less gas and pollute less towing the boat with the larger truck than you would overworking the smaller engines in the smaller vehicles.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
02/05/2010 3:24 PM Pacific Time

another consideration is what are the state laws on towing (brakes/weight) in the states you will be passing through. check out the various dmv websites you will be driving in. a costly ticket for being trailer overloaded or not having the right brakes could make it a costly trip
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
02/05/2010 6:03 PM Pacific Time

Dennis: I towed my C22 with a 6 cyl ranger for about 12 years. From Kansas to Washington DC and then to Michigan and all around the Great Lakes. Came time to buy a new vehicle so I got the F-150.
I would agree with Lynn and David. If the trailer has brakes (operational) you shouldnt have any trouble. Do check with the state DMV to insure your GVWR etc is within their limits. Most states require brakes on a load the size of C22. The Ranger might be a bit slow to get up to speed etc and you will be on the edge of your seat in bad weather etc. But cruising down the interstate is not bad. Just remember you are going to be slow accelerating so dont push it on the merge ramps etc.
I wouldnt hesitate to do it but as one poster said: you are the guy behind the wheel and you have to make the decision for yourself.

Good Luck.

Mike
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
02/09/2010 12:17 PM Pacific Time

I have a GMC Yukon 4x4 v8. I always try to take it slow and leave plenty of room.
HOWEVER I have been PUSHED through 2 red lights (dry asphalt/oily surface)
I plan to have new trailer brakes on this year. A Ranger is much lighter especially in the rear. It ain't the pullin its the pushin you have to worry about. If you don't have good trailer brakes I (humbley) suggest you get/borrow bigger vehicle.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / trailering my c-22 to texas