Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / chainplate/eyebolt replacement?

Author chainplate/eyebolt replacement?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/19/2004 9:04 AM Pacific Time

I am about to replace my standing rigging. Based on discussions with the previous owner, the rigging is still original. This is an '82 model. My question involves the chainplates. I have read that the older 3/8" chainplates were prone to breakage. Is this true? Has anyone here seen this happen? Whether I replace them or not, I will fill in the old holes with epoxy and redrill them so the labor will be the same either way.

Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/19/2004 10:28 AM Pacific Time

First of all, please fill in your profile, so we know who you are, your hull no. and where you sail. Sometimes it makes a difference in how the question is answered.

In this case it does not. REPLACE THEM NOW, IF NOT SOONER. I had an upper 3/8 inch eye bolt shear off just checking it for tightness. Had I gone sailing that day, I would have probably lost the rig. The replacement bolts are 1/2 inch in diameter. They have a built in flange that if properly bedded, will not allow moisture to infiltrate the deck below. I don't believe you need to drill the holes oversize, fill with epoxy and redrill. The flange is setup with holes to allow the eye bolt to be anchored from turning. I have never had a problem with that happening. I did not feel three extra holes in the deck was warranted.

When you install the new eye bolts, be sure to align them properly. Sight over the head of the bolt and make sure your line of sight is in line with the mast. The turn buckles should be fitted with toggles to insure the lower part of the upper and aft shroud turnbuckles are not bent, when lowering the mast.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/10/2004 8:26 PM Pacific Time

I purchased new rigging from CD and was glad I did. When I replaced the deck eye bolts they were eaten through with corrosion. A disaster waiting to happen. Don't play games or be thrifty replace and know where your are starting from!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/31/2004 7:19 AM Pacific Time

Being Gunho, yeha! I replaced all my rigging including my chainplate/eyebolts. When I installed the eyebolts there were no instructions included, thanks CD, Sooooo I put them in using 5200. Due to Chip's recent discussion concerning the direction of the eyebolt I realized I too installed them facing eye to the out board direction when I should have installed them facing to the bow. Any suggestions, Is it really as big problem. How do I correct it?
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
06/27/2005 8:16 AM Pacific Time

Replace them now (or at least check them). I had the eyebolt for port lower stay snap on Saturday. The mast bent and entire rig went into the Chesapeake. Getting it back onboard while drifting with swells and wind was to say the least exciting. Bolt was entirely eaten through where it was not visible. No one hurt but that was only luck!
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/28/2005 5:50 AM Pacific Time

To Gunho Yeha - (Make that Gungho). The only problem with facing them the way you did, is that when you raise or lower the mast, the turnbuckle lower clevis pin cannot rotate properly and you might bend the lower portion of the turnbuckle. Just loosen the turnbuckles on the upper shrouds before you raise or lower the mast, so you don't put a tension load on them.

PS Please fill in your profile, so we know who you are and what vintage boat you have.
Chris Coombs
Deerfield NH

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: '74 Catalina 22

Hull No. 2313

Hailing Port: Deerfield NH
09/26/2007 9:56 AM Pacific Time

Any of you who are replacing your chainplate eyebolts wanna share one of the old ones with me? I am rehabbing a 1974 Cat 22 and one is missing. Could use two if you have them. The bolts I just installed are in mint condition. have many of you found they fail with age?
Thanks!
Chris Coombs
Second Wind
Michael & Barbara Day
Selma, Oregon

Boat Name: Godspeed II

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. 5316

Hailing Port: Howard Prairie Lake
09/04/2009 2:53 PM Pacific Time

My 2 cents worth. I have always had large boats. My last one prior to my wife and I marrying was a Pearson Countess 44. I lived on it and raced it (mainly Newport to Ensenada) and Catalina over and back races. I needed a trailerable boat so enter the Cat 22. My 1975 (new to me) looked great and everything seemed to be in order. This is my 2nd Cat 22 so I have been through the drills to get the boat sailable AND safe. I noticed the chainplates were not snugged up and showed some moisture inside the boat, so time to remove, clean, inspect and rebed. Aft lower shroud chainplate, no problem. Strbd upper chainplate took about 2 ft. lbs. to loosen up, or so I thought. The remainder of the chainplate bolt and nut were in the recess of the socket. Let's say "they looked fine" and once the season is over and I get the boat back home I will take care of it. Once I raised the mast at our local lake, it MIGHT have broken off entirely. What if it didn't? A good puff and port tack and everything would have gone down. I couldn't call the Catalina chandlery quick enough. $135.00 insurance!
Please check the (especially) older boats for this disaster waiting to happen.
Mike

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / chainplate/eyebolt replacement?