Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Has anyone made a Queen size bed in cabin?

Author Has anyone made a Queen size bed in cabin?
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
03/20/2004 11:42 AM Pacific Time

I've seen some where on thw web a description of making a queen size bed in the main cabin by cutting plywood as a base. Any suggestions?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/20/2004 12:27 PM Pacific Time

I've done it on my 1986, and it works great. You need to screw some stringers around the walkway in the cabin to hold the plywood. I used corrugated cardboard as pattern, then cut the plywood. I'd recommend 3/8 or 1/2 inch plywood to keep the weight down. Then buy some foam and use an electric carving knife to cut the foam to shape. I didn't cover the foam, choosing instead to lie the sleeping bag or sheet over the top.
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

03/20/2004 1:31 PM Pacific Time

Mike,

Thanks for the info. The stringers, did you mount them perminantly to the plywood or did you make some type of bracket so you could disassemble for storage during the daytime.

Rich
[email protected]
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/20/2004 7:31 PM Pacific Time

When I made mine, I actually cut 5 short sections of 4x4 that I set on end to support the plywood (1 in each corner and 1 in the center). Since then I have seen other installations where they screwed the stringers to the top of the setees and kept them in place so all they had to do was set the plywood in place.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/23/2004 10:19 AM Pacific Time

I took the existing foam cushions and laid that rippled foam over the top a bedpad then a sheet and a queen size comforter over the top of that. I have two large pillows that fit into the V of the berth. When I sleep the just pop the hatch attach a wind sock (West Marine) to the jib sheet and the hatch opening for lots of air and sleep like a baby. Very comfortable!!
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
03/23/2004 9:44 PM Pacific Time

I cut a sheet of quarter inch plywood roughly to size and made sure it fit under the starboard settee cushion, so that when I lift the hatch it doesn't hang out. I then use two (existing) plastic storage boxes to support the board. I use seatback cushions and whatever else I can find (usually two spare square fenders) to cover the board as padding, with a sheet or sleeping bag on top. Sounds messy but works for me. That way I don't have a lot of extra stuff lying around - most everything has another use..
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

07/13/2004 3:24 PM Pacific Time

Let me explain what I have done. We had a 36 qt. Ioglo cooler that measured 13"Hx13"Wx24'L which fit perfectly in the companionway. I purchased a second one and when preparing for bed we place the coolers in the companionway and place the back cushions from the settee which makes a perfect filt We now have a wall to wall bed!

During sailing the coolers are placed on the forward settee and tied down. We needed two coolers for the cruising we do on Lake Champlain.

Thanks for everyones' advice.
Bob (Hobie) Davidson
Altamonte Springs, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977 c22

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Altamonte Springs, Fl.
09/18/2004 12:38 PM Pacific Time

The v-berth is the answer for a queen size bed.
I purchased some egg crate foam and cut it to fit in the v-berth then placed a bed pad, sheet and comforter over the top. I sleep up there quite comfortably. There is not alot of room above my head but I'm grateful to have a comfortable spot to sleep
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

09/19/2004 5:25 AM Pacific Time

We done something different. We purchased two iglo coolers (36 qt. which are 13" high, 12" wide). They fit in the companionway and we place the settee backrest cushons on top of them. you end up with wall to wall bedding. Adding the foam of your choice will make an excellent queen size bed and allow you to still use the porta-potty during the night. At the companionway there is space for a water bottle or two for drinking at night.

good luck.

Rich
Gerald Artman Jr.
MI

Boat Name: Gerald Artman Jr.

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. AR291BTH

Hailing Port: Fenton, MI
07/23/2007 7:14 AM Pacific Time

I found two coolers at Wallmart. Lowered the table and used the back cushions. It makes a full size space across the boat. We then used an air mattress to help with the MRS's back. We have an older 74 without the front hatch and the MRS thought it too cramped in the V berth. For naps, I could put one cooler in and lay across and not have to move things.

We do not have the cook unit. An advantage of the smaller coolers is they are lighter to move around. We had a box for cook gear and the two coolers for a 1 week cruise in the North Channel of Lake Huron. Worked well.
Steven Schroeder
Orland Park

Boat Name: Bayhawk

Model/Year: 1981 Catalina 25

Hull No. 2655

Hailing Port: Charlevoix, MI
08/29/2013 4:19 PM Pacific Time

Last weekend we finally figured out how to sleep in the main cabin rather than the v-berth. We bought a twin size air mattress that fits perfectly between the 2 settees, running along the keel. That way we sleep crosswise using the port settee for our heads and the starboard for our feet, making for a king size bed. Works great for us, as we usually spend the night at a slip so we have power. The mattress plugs in and inflates in 2 minutes and deflates just as fast in the morning. Even the dogs are happy now.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Has anyone made a Queen size bed in cabin?