Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / restoring fiberglass

Author restoring fiberglass
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
03/24/2004 7:07 PM Pacific Time

I am trying this year to revitalize the fiberglass in my cockpit. I had tried lightly compounding and waxing it, used a buffer, but it never gets that shiny fiberglass 'glow' like newer boats. Does anyone have any ideas that they have tried?

Thanks
Steve Morgan
Dwayne Guidry
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1983 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH1458M83

Hailing Port: Lake Arthur La.
03/25/2004 4:47 AM Pacific Time

Steve I used Poly Glow and it looks almost like a new boat. It is fairly easy to use no buffing just wipe on about four coats. You can find it on there web site. Sorry I don't have the address.
Dwayne Guidry
Dwayne Guidry
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1983 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH1458M83

Hailing Port: Lake Arthur La.
03/25/2004 4:52 AM Pacific Time

Sorry Steve
It's named Poli Glow.
Dwayne Guidry
Captn Mac
Freeport, FL

Boat Name: Honey Do

Model/Year: c-22 1976

Hull No. 5573

Hailing Port: Freeport, Florida
03/25/2004 7:34 AM Pacific Time

Poli Glow has a website www.poliglowproducts.com or telephone @ 1-800-922-5013

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/25/2004 8:54 AM Pacific Time

I use the 3m products to polish out the fiberglass. I first wet sanded with 3m 1200, the 1500 grit. The 1500 actually put a gloss finish on the 20 year old fiberglass. Then I applied 3m Perfect-It III polising compound with buffer, and finally waxed my hull. You can see full details at:

http://www.leachs.com/polish.htm

Robert
Scott Sauve
Newmarket, NH

Boat Name: LaVoile

Model/Year: 1989 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14609

Hailing Port: Sunset Marina-Portland, ME
03/25/2004 7:11 PM Pacific Time

Robert,
Great job on your hull, it looks great.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/26/2004 5:53 AM Pacific Time

Robert- Words of praise desert me. WOW!!! She is better than new. How long did it take? How often did you change disks? Do you think 600 is too coarse to start?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/27/2004 7:10 AM Pacific Time

Ya, I think 600 is way to course. Better start high (1200) and work back, than sand through the gel coat. Use 1000 to get out nasty scatches, anything deeper than that just leave. I used a cheap car buffer for the polish. Sanding is really quite easy and fast. The 3m sandpaper cuts really fast and only takes about 20-30 minutes to do the entire hull (to the water line). So, you can easily do the whole hull in a Saturday, or in a half day if you have help.

That photo was taken before the boat sat in the water all summer. Now the hull is dull and needs a new coat of wax. I am hoping that is all I have to do, but I may need to polish her again. This summer I will do the deck and cockpit.

Thanks for the compliments!

Robert
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/27/2004 10:00 AM Pacific Time

Did you use a block sander or some sort of electrical or pneumatic driven sander? How often did you change paper (in other words, how much area did you sand before changing sheets)?.
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Boat Name: Gumbo Girl

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/15/2005 8:07 AM Pacific Time

Robert,

The boat does look great. Where can I find the 3M Perfect-It products?
Bill Harrington
Miami, Florida

Boat Name: Runaway

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Miami
09/27/2005 8:23 AM Pacific Time

I am going to redo the topside and inside the cabin.

I was going to clean the deteriorated topside of my C-22 with ON/OFF, which is an acid based cleaning compound, making sure to rinse off extensively.

Then, I was going to repair minor dings with epoxy resin/fillers and lightly sand the entire topside/interior cabin.

Finally, I was going to repaint the topside with an off-white Interlux topside paint.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
Christopher Dube
Mansfield Texas

Boat Name: Gypsey Girl

Model/Year: C-22 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Joe Pool Lake
06/27/2006 5:00 AM Pacific Time

Ive just completed my cabin top to a better than new condition with ( get this ) Spray Paint. Yes, Spray Paint. Rustolium White Plastic/Fiberglass Paint to be exact. I just sanded after cleaning. Step 1 , clean, 2 sand with 220 grit, 3. Paint a good thick coat useing a few medium coats. Allow to dry to a hard finish. Overnight is best. 4. Now this is the kicker. Sand useing 1000 grit paper useing alot of water while sanding. Look for that milky white paint removal. Also feel with your hand and you can see which areas are smooth.5. After you get it to the level you want, clean and dry the area. 6. Apply at least two coats, of a good carnuba wax. 6. Brand New !!!!! I would like to add this. Use those spray can triggers that you get, at home depot. Makes it alot more easy to paint. Or, you can do the $ 2000.00 Paint job with imron epoxy. That is what I was going to do before trying this. I am so happy with these results that I may never use high end paints again. Chris.
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Boat Name: Summer Breeze

Model/Year: C 22/1988 fin keel

Hull No. 14333

Hailing Port: Lake Tillery, NC
01/06/2012 8:17 PM Pacific Time

My boat has a good bit of oxidation and I want to bring the shine back. I plan to wet sand the hull as mentioned above. I'm curious why rubbing compound would be necessary if the hull was wet sanded (doing this was mentioned in another posting also). These postings are several years old. I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with polishes that may be available now. There are so many to choose from and I do not want to spend a lot of time and then find out the product does not produce a great shine and/or does not last. Thanks,
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
01/07/2012 6:31 AM Pacific Time

Wes, you have to remove the oxide and the way the do it is wet sand. Yes, it is a time consuming job. but it is well worth it. I would start with 800 and go to 1200 or 1500. keep it wet. using a 10" polisher and some polishing compound , buff it out. finish up with just some good wax. My boat was as bad as wipe your had over it and it would come up white. It took a full day and part of the next morning and the boat looks like new!. Well worth the time.
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Hull No. 14333

01/09/2012 8:01 PM Pacific Time

I am planning on wet sanding. My question is what is a "good wax" and why would you use compund if you have wet sanded? What are people doing about restoring the deck/cockpit? Do you finish these areas by wetsanding/compund /wax. Obviously you can't wet sand the non slip areas. Is the general trend to just let these areas be or compound/wax them? I started compounding the non-slip areas eariler this year but could not tell I was making any difference, so I quit.
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Hull No. 14333

01/16/2012 7:04 PM Pacific Time

Is everybody hibernating?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
01/17/2012 5:04 AM Pacific Time

I have used 3M ptfe wax and it seems to work well.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
01/17/2012 10:45 AM Pacific Time

There is a product called IOSSO that is suppose to work well. I am ordering some from keystonbros.com and will let you know within a month.
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Hull No. 14333

01/17/2012 7:19 PM Pacific Time

Thanks R.C./Lynn. I know you don't want the non-skid areas to be slick. Is the general practice to compound and wax those areas along with the rest of the deck or just forget about them?

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / restoring fiberglass