Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / cabin ventilation

Author cabin ventilation
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
03/25/2004 6:32 AM Pacific Time

I have been fooling around with non-permanent ways of ventilating our C-22 without letting bugs or rain in, withand withou the poptop up.

So far, I have been unsatisfied with everything I've done except for the companionway hatch board I made with a louvered attic vent in it. This only works when I'm not using the poptop.

I'm thinking about adding opening ports or a cowl forward. But before I go buying something else and cutting holes I thought I'd ask for people's experiences, pros and cons of locations, ability to keep water and bugs out, etc.

Any opinions?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/25/2004 3:08 PM Pacific Time

I don't recall whether the 1980 version has a bow hatch or not. I have a 1986 and installed a solar Nicro vent in the hatch, which works great. I never have a stale smell in the cabin.

When I'm cruising, I use the WIndscoop through the bow hatch. Lastly, when I an trying to sleep, and it is warm, I have a battery powered Camframo fan ($20). It take 4 "D" cells, has variable speed, and will run 300 hours on a set of batteries.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
03/26/2004 5:52 AM Pacific Time

I am very happy with my solar Nicro vent in the hatch, no leaks & no moisture in a humid climate.

I think the design of passive vents could be improved & have looked at some RV type Venturi vents for aft applications. So far no design can compete with the solar/passive benefits.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

03/26/2004 10:21 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, guys. Yes, the 1980 does have a forward hatch, and we've used the velcro-tape-and-screen on it for cruising so far, but the headroom is so low, we hate twisting our old bodies around to install it at night.

Also, we keep our boat near Watertown, NY and they don't call it "Watertown" for nuthin'. It rains better than 50% of the weekends we use the boat, so we're always getting up in the middle of the night to close the hatch, resulting in a sticky, restless night in a floating sauna.

Question: What do you get after two days of rain in the North Country?
Answer: Monday (lol)

I'm going to look into the solar vents - thanks for your advice.

Chip
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
03/27/2004 5:18 AM Pacific Time

I had the same problem with ventilation, and I don't have a forward hatch; the companionway was the only source of fresh air. After a long weekend in the rain last year, and mildew in the cabin growing like dandelions, I bought a Nicro solar-powered vent too. This year, I just added a louvered teak vent to the upper cribboard for additional circulation.

See:http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/cribboards.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Hull No. 13059

03/27/2004 7:11 AM Pacific Time

Chip & MaryAnn,

You might consider the day & night battery backed up solar vent for your part of the wet cloudy country & nighttime circulation.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

03/27/2004 11:44 AM Pacific Time

Bob et al: The solar sounds like a good way to go. How about bugs? Do you think can I put a little screen over the bottom or will that impede the flow too much?

Chip, I made a one-piece companionway board out of birch-veneer plywood with an 16" by 24" screened attic louver in it. I use it when I'm on the boat by myself, because I rarely put the poptop up unless MaryAnn's coming. It's big, so I store it under the vee berth cushions when not in use.

But to get a fresh breeze going through the boat I need something forward. It's either going to be a powered vent or something passive but with good volume.

About those windscoops, Michael, do they keep out rain and bugs or do they just scoop air and everything in it?

Chip Lee
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
03/27/2004 12:10 PM Pacific Time

You can still fit the Velcro screen on the hatch with the windscoop in place, so bugs are not an issue. I have several Velro screens for both the hatch and the companionway.

I think my Nicro vent has a screen already built in.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Hull No. 13059

03/28/2004 9:01 AM Pacific Time

The Solar vents are waterproof & bug poor with a built in twist lock plastic screen that is removable.

To get better nighttime circulation one might consider a stern anchor so the aft hatch gets full airflow volume.

Yes, I realize this is not the best way to anchor, but you probably will not be anchoring in a gale. Just set your anchor alarm on your GPS & sleep in the aft to fore breeze.

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Hull No. 13059

03/28/2004 9:02 AM Pacific Time

bug proof
Jimmy Lotufo
New Jersey

Boat Name: brisey_h

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12275

Hailing Port: Alki Beach
03/28/2004 2:24 PM Pacific Time

is there a picture of this Nicro solar powered vent I can take a look at?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/28/2004 4:01 PM Pacific Time

Try this address for the Nicro Solar powered vent:
http://tinyurl.com/2mntl
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

03/28/2004 5:24 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Chip
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
03/29/2004 1:20 AM Pacific Time

Jimmy, go to:

http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/chip_ahoy_4.htm

Then click on the thumbnail photo alongside: "Following the damp and dreary 4-day weekend to the South Shore..."

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/
Jimmy Lotufo
New Jersey

Boat Name: brisey_h

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12275

Hailing Port: Alki Beach
03/29/2004 1:08 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Chip.
Glenn Ruggles
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Bonita

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 8706

Hailing Port: Conroe Yacht Club
09/15/2006 4:50 PM Pacific Time

I have a round vent on the bow of my '79 Catalina 22 forward of the front hatch, and just behind the bow light. I suppose it's a cowl vent. It has a flange that's mounted to the deck with screws. The inner diameter of the flange is threaded and a plastic piece screws into the flange. The whole thing is only slightly raised from the deck. The piece that screws in is falling apart.

I bought a chrome cowl vent from CD that fits into the hole if I remove the flange, but I don't like the looks of it. Any suggestions on another replacement ? Thanks.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/19/2006 8:05 PM Pacific Time

It sounds like you have the 3" Nicro cowell vent. I have a 73 C22 and that was the prefered unit for a small boat before the days of the solar charged battery operated kind. You can buy parts from most marine supply stores. I have lost the cowell and the screw in lid twice and special ordered parts from West Marine. I think I have two of the screw in part (not the lid or cowell) in my garage. You pay postage and I'll ship one to you if that is the part you need. Email me at [email protected]
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/19/2006 8:06 PM Pacific Time

It sounds like you have the 3" Nicro cowell vent. I have a 73 C22 and that was the prefered unit for a small boat before the days of the solar charged battery operated kind. You can buy parts from most marine supply stores. I have lost the cowell and the screw in lid twice and special ordered parts from West Marine. I think I have two of the flanges (not the lid or cowell) in my garage. You pay postage and I'll ship one to you if that is the part you need. Email me at [email protected]
Paul LeMenager
Bethlehem PA

Boat Name: Nelli Anne

Model/Year: Catalina 25 /1984

Hull No. 4578

Hailing Port: Allen Harbor Rhode Island
07/22/2009 5:46 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1986 c22 and my deadlight (in front of hatch) is cracked it is 4 1/8" x 8 1/8" and I would like to install a Nicro 3" Day / Night solar powered ventilator in the deadlight (required cutout 3 3/4" they claim - I think I can make smaller) . I'd like to do that because: I do not want to make a hole in my deck or hatch, it is horizontal & flat, and if it does not work I can replace the deadlight for $30. Anyone ever done that? I think I will need to replace the wood screws with shorter ss bolts/nuts - any other issues?

Thanks, Paul
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
07/23/2009 4:57 AM Pacific Time

Hey guys, while we are talking about ventilation, I am looking for some mosquito netting to enclose the cockpit. I have a bimini and thought I would just get a large enough piece to drape over the bimini and weight the edges to keep it in place. Where can I get a large piece of suitable screen cloth that won't disintegrate after a few uses.

Thanks

Greg
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
07/23/2009 8:01 AM Pacific Time

Greg Some of the fellow cruisers on the NGCC use a mosquito net that goes over a bed. I found one at PIER ONE IMPORTS for $12.95 and they had others
for $19.95 at the time. The net is large enough to go over the bimini and cover the hatch. It has an opening that goes to the cockpit.
Donald & Lynn Conner
Severn, MD

Boat Name: Meniscus

Model/Year: C-22, 1979

Hull No. 9157

Hailing Port: Middle River, MD
07/24/2009 2:15 PM Pacific Time

We used the solar vent and I believe ours had a battery back up, and no mildew smell in our Cat 22 (or the 27 we had later). We used fans (12 volt) to move the air inside the cabin at night when we had to close up the boat due to rain. But you can get lengths of "no see um" netting (60" wide) from Sailrite (www.sailrite.com) at reasonable rates and make your own for vents and hatches. Velcro doesn't last but a few seasons. Windscoops don't stop bugs or rain, but it comes down to choices. DH isn't bothered by bugs, but I have to use plenty of repellant and most screens will inhibit breezes moving in and out of cabins...

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / cabin ventilation