Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rotting deck around forestay plate and bow pulpit stanchions

Author Rotting deck around forestay plate and bow pulpit stanchions
Mike Trimble
Arlington, VA

Boat Name: Colleen II

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1989

Hull No. CTYH4939A989

Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
06/18/2011 7:20 PM Pacific Time

All,

I have discovered some pretty serious rotting of the wooden deck core in the bow around the forestay plate and bow pulpit stachions. The bolts on the stanchions are rusted and the entire thing needs to be removed. I will need to drill access holes in the anchor locker in order to get to the ones towards the stern, but that is the least of my concerns. I am most worried about the extent of the damage to the wood core and what I will need to do to stop the leaks and fix the deck so the forestay plate will remain secure and not fail under load.

I have more description of the situation on my blog at: http://stuff-i-work-on.blogspot.com/2011/06/more-serious-boat-work.html

I have also posted pictures of the area on Flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21578147@N02/sets/72157626993156804/

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or questions as I will need as much help as I can get in fixing this.

Thanks,
Mike - owner Colleen II
1979 Catalina 22
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
06/19/2011 1:44 PM Pacific Time

Your first stop should be to your local bookseller where you should pick up a copy of Don Casey's book "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair" and/or "This Old Boat". Either of these will give you step by step instructions to fix and maintain your boat. You have a very messy and time consuming project on your hands, though it is not as difficult as it might seem with the right guidance. This Old Boat gives a few practice projects and is more comprehensive.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
06/19/2011 4:11 PM Pacific Time

The only person I can think of who has more experience than anyone on this type repair on a C 22 is Dennis Slaton. Get his contact info from the C 22 National Website and call him. He is very accessible and a super nice C 22 racer and restorer of old boats, and just a super nice guy.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rotting deck around forestay plate and bow pulpit stanchions