Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Screw Hole Repair

Author Screw Hole Repair
Joseph Washburn
Hampstead, NC

Boat Name: Disciple Ship

Model/Year: 1988 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14408

Hailing Port: Wilmington
03/26/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Time

A couple of the snaps for the pop top enclosure have stipped out. There does not seem to be any damage besides the enlarged screw holes. What is the best method to repair the holes so the snaps can be screwed back in? I have a 1988 Catalina 22.

Joseph Washburn
"Discple Ship"
1988 C-22 #14408
Wilmington, NC
---Turk ---
Canfield, Ohio

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Mosquito Lake, N.E. Ohio
03/27/2004 5:33 PM Pacific Time

Same thing happened to me. I drilled out the hole to clean it up and will be putting that 2 part white putty stuff in the hole (what was the name of that stuff - Marine tex I believe). After it hardens, I will drill a new starter hole for the threaded snap. Should work, I'll let you know.

Turk
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
05/29/2004 10:09 AM Pacific Time

I need to do the same with my pop-top lift brackets.

For a blind location, both in metal and composite structures, I would consider a rivnut. You end up replacing the sheet metal-type screw with a machine screw.

There are a few installation tool options, all of which seem to work fine. Though not always the best in close quarters, I prefer the feel of hand squeezers:
http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut.html

Here’s a wrench-driven style from Wicks Aircraft supply – they work well too and are better in close quarters:
http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=1216/

This is one of those tools that you can do without for a long time, but will find uses for one you have one. :-)

Good luck!

- Russ
Larry Brand
Providence, Rhode Island

Boat Name: Prost!

Model/Year: C22/1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Providence
06/10/2004 6:21 PM Pacific Time

I am having a screw hole problem (story of my life!) -- I have a bunch of screws that are loose but I can not seem to remove them. I tried putting some tension on the screw head and then unscrewing but they did not unscrew. Thoughs?
Jimmy Lotufo
New Jersey

Boat Name: brisey_h

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12275

Hailing Port: Alki Beach
06/11/2004 4:58 AM Pacific Time

question: I have a few holes on the cockpit side of the transon where the PO seemed to have had some deck hardware attached and is no longer there leaving the srew holes, my question is, how do I fill the holes and does that "Marine Tech" stuff work for a job like this?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/11/2004 6:20 AM Pacific Time

See if you can use a chisel or putty knife to get under the head of the screw. Pry it up as you unscrew it.

Marine tek works fine for filling holes. It drys fast and sands easy but it will not match the white of your hull. If you are rearlly particular you can sand it flat and then spray white gel coat over the top to match the rest of the hull--but this is an advanced technique.

Robert
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
06/12/2004 6:22 AM Pacific Time

What I do for holes in the rear of the cockpit, or any where that I can get to the back of the fiber glass wall, is to add a patch of glass, cloth, or wood soaked in Epoxy on the back of the hole/s. Then you can fill and finish or put screws into the new wall. I have been wetted to using WEST (Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique) Systems epoxy, as oppposed to polyester resin, or Bondo, but they might work as well. I guess I believe in epoxy since using it on my 35' cold molded plywood boat for 15 years.
For what it's worth, Al Ge
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
12/28/2005 3:44 PM Pacific Time

Heres one for you listers, for your information Northern tool ( NorthernTool.com ) just today came out with a sale catalog. On pg.4 they are offering a kit for installing rivnuts for $10.00. It comes with 40 threaded aluminum rivets in the sizes 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, and 1/4-20. Might just be useful.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
12/28/2005 3:44 PM Pacific Time

Heres one for you listers, for your information Northern tool ( NorthernTool.com ) just today came out with a sale catalog. On pg.4 they are offering a kit for installing rivnuts for $10.00. It comes with 40 threaded aluminum rivets in the sizes 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, and 1/4-20. Might just be useful.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
12/29/2005 5:41 AM Pacific Time

I'll echo Al G's comments but add that West Marine carries a tinting product that can turn the usual yellowish epoxy a nice white color. My C-22, Time Out, is literally covered w/screw holes from projects by POs. I'm filling them in sections and am very happy with the results.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Screw Hole Repair