Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Hull gel coat repair

Author Hull gel coat repair
Kurt Green
Lake Villa, IL

Boat Name: Sharon Lee

Model/Year: C22 / 1973

Hull No. 2162

Hailing Port: Great Lakes, IL
11/20/2011 7:41 AM Pacific Time

When I pulled my boat out for the season I noticed that there were areas where the thin first layer of white finish had flaked off leaving gray underneath. The flaking was not in mass, but perhaps several dozen individual occurrences smaller than the size of an eraser on a pencil.

Is this the gel coat? Is this a major problem? What is the fix?

Kurt Green
#2162 HORIZONS
Great Lakes, IL
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
04/19/2012 10:31 AM Pacific Time

Did you get your answer? If not look closely at the areas in question does the color appear opaque with a woven or mat fabric look? If not you are not seeing the fiberglass only the old gel coat that someone painted over. Just sand around the areas in question till the paint edge is blended smooth, clean well with a wipe solvent and touch up.
Brightside or similar above the water line or anti fouling below the waterline. I am currently still in work on a 2 year project of removing all the gel coat from the bottom of my girl, Luana Cordelia, and this is not a novice job! Good Luck!!!

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Hull gel coat repair