Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Bent Turnbuckle Remedy Anyone?

Author Bent Turnbuckle Remedy Anyone?
Dean Woodcook
Lisle, NY

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ithaca, NY
03/10/2012 12:25 PM Pacific Time

Every year I have to replace some turnbuckles simply due to use. Last season when I was de-masting my 1979 Catalina 22 I could see that the angle the forward and aft 1/4" turnbuckles had bent the T-bolt attached to the deck chain-plate. I'm always careful not to bend them when raising and lowering. Does anyone know if turnbuckle /shroud covers keeps them from bending, or other remedy... and where I can spend less than $38 for turnbuckles that will work for the 22? I'd love to install quick-release ones, but not if those $80 ones are going to bend.
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
03/11/2012 7:23 AM Pacific Time

My experience with shroud covers was that it exacerbated the problem. It made it more difficult to see if they were rotating with the mast properly. Once you see that the turnbuckle is crooked it is more difficult to lift the cover and straighten it out and not have the shroud cover knock it back out of alignment. On the other hand I have not solved the bent turnbuckle problem, and as I type this I have 2 ends to replace for this sailing season.

Craig
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
03/11/2012 8:02 AM Pacific Time

I have the same problem. Every time I lower the mast I get at least one bent turnbuckle no matter how careful I am.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
03/11/2012 9:49 AM Pacific Time

here is a tip: It really depends on the type of turnbuckle ends you have. The ultra-sleek swaged fittings are not as easy as the jaw-end style but you can do this with either.
Get one (or two) bungie cords that will go from the upper shroud turnbuckle on one side of the boat to the uppers shroud turn buckle on the other side, across the top of the cabin. They should have some stretch left in them - not too tight. Repeat for the aft lower shrouds. Make sure they are UNDER all the shrouds and lay flat across the top of the cabin. Hook the ends of the bungie into the upper part of the turnbuckles so that the tension of the bungie holds the turnbuckles straight up. Everything should be aligned and straight. On a turnbuckle with the swaged end fittings, you may have to loop a small length of line/string/twine thru the turnbuckle body in order to hook the bungie up.
This is most beneficial when raising the mast, but can be used when lowering also. When lowering the mast, the tension on the turn buckles should lessen as you lower the mast and the turnbuckle ends should not bind or bend.
Once properly connected, raise the mast slowly. you will notice that as the slack goes out of the shrouds and they begin to tighten up, the bungie will stretch a bit and the turnbuckles will be straight up and aligned properly. No binding or bending. After securing the forestay, simply unhook the bungies and connect the forward lowers and go sailing!
Try it - it works like a charm. Better living with bungies!!
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

03/12/2012 9:01 AM Pacific Time

thanks Mike - I will give it a try.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
03/12/2012 8:23 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Mike. For years I have heard about bungees on the toggles when raising the mast. Now I have a very clear picture of what every one meant. This year alone we bent four lower tbolts on the upper turnbuckles. I try to keep bungee cords off my boat, but I can see a long one in the future, and I can keep it in the truck for it's special purpose.
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

03/13/2012 7:04 AM Pacific Time

Lynn - why do you try to keep bungee cords off of the boat?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
03/13/2012 11:13 AM Pacific Time

I'm sort of a classic/minimalist when it comes to my boat. The recent boat we bought had plastic handrails and I cringe everytime I look at them. As soon as all the safety items for the boat is taken care of, they will be replace with wood. I'm also a ASA/US Sailing Keelboat Instructor and I prefer a piece of line and the skill of tying a proper knot for the job. What do you do if all your bungee cords have rotted in the AZ sun and you need to secure something quickly? I can see how bungee cords have a purpose when flexing is a necessity for the job (like mast raising without bending tbolts) but would use a line when flexing isn't needed, if I had a choice. I also heard about using tape, but wasn't quite sure what to tape and where to tape it. Again there is the issue of what do you do when you run out of tape. I always have spare pieces of line on the boat.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Bent Turnbuckle Remedy Anyone?