Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Rookie Question : Tips for raising sails singlehanded

Author Rookie Question : Tips for raising sails singlehanded
Bill McMahon
Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

Boat Name: Kahuna

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1981

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

Hailing Port: Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada
09/26/2012 9:18 PM Pacific Time

The title says it all. Any wisdom on this specific to the C 22?
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
09/27/2012 7:02 AM Pacific Time

I have my main halyard run back to the cockpit, don't have to go forward. Same with the jib if you do not have a furler. I have a furler great item!!
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
09/27/2012 9:18 AM Pacific Time

With lines led aft it is pretty easy. Check out this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=o6feFnK4TRA

Eric Sachau
Tulsa, OK

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/30/2012 3:58 PM Pacific Time

I don't have a furler and I don't have my lines back to the cockpit. I have to go to the cabin top and then scramble back. Certainly, having a furling sail and/or both lines back would be a superior set up, but I have become acustomed to my rig. I typically run the mail up first and drop sails in reverse order.
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
10/01/2012 5:19 PM Pacific Time

First choise is to have the halyards back to the cockpit. It will work for what ever sail you chose to put up. Roller furling of the jib is really nice, but if you only have one choice, go for the lines backo the cockpit.
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
10/02/2012 4:42 AM Pacific Time

Point the boat into the wind with the outboard pushing the boat. Make sure the tiller is keeping the boat on course -- tie it off. Raise the main and then the jib, still facing into the wind. Haul up the outboard, fall off to the wind and trim sails. All this should happen as quickly as possible.
Peter
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: Au Contraire

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1986

Hull No. 13325

Hailing Port: Stamford
10/02/2012 5:29 AM Pacific Time

To add more choices to your rigging issue, think about self tailing winches.

I single handle my C22 in Long Island sound quite often. All my halyards run back to the cockpit. With roller furling (I have the furling lines running outboard of the life line stanchions) and self tailing winches, it is quite easy. I took the old winches and mounted them on the cabin top to make sail hoisting and other adjustments effortless. The only thing I have not figured out, is how to launch a spinnaker by myself.
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
10/02/2012 8:35 AM Pacific Time

Peter, you can do a spin single handed, use a asymetrical spin with a dousing sock. one line up, one line down.
Bill McMahon
Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

Boat Name: Kahuna

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1981

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

Hailing Port: Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada
11/15/2012 10:00 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the tips everybody!

I have routed both halyards to the cockpit and installed Lewmar D1 clutches. In addition have rigged a jib down haul through stanchion fairleads to just forward of the port side winch so I don't have to go forward to douse the foresail, and can raise and lower the sail easily balancing the halyard and down haul with free hands whilst steering with my knees.

Great forum...Kahuna

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Rookie Question : Tips for raising sails singlehanded