Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Campanionway Hatch/Pop Top leak

Author Campanionway Hatch/Pop Top leak
Bill McMahon
Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

Boat Name: Kahuna

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1981

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

Hailing Port: Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada
09/29/2012 8:03 PM Pacific Time

Just took possession of my 1981 C 22. Naturally my first project was to clean her stem to gudgeon. After scrubbing and hosing down the top and decks with a garden spray nozzle I went below and there was water everywhere, like somehow a direct spray had penetrated somewhere. This a bit alarming as our wet winter is on the way. Is there a routine maintenance fix needed in gaskets or weather stripping. Help!
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
09/30/2012 4:30 AM Pacific Time

More than likely your water source is spray going under the forward edge of the pop top and entering the cabin around the edge of the cabin interior. I live in an area where there are lots of pine trees. Needles will get into my cabin the same way as the water. It is really bad when I trailer the boat before cleaning that area out. My boat goes through storms without gaskets or the like with no water getting inside/. As a precaution you might consider a tarp to cover the pop top. I do know someone who splits thosw pipe insulating foam tubes and jams them around the perimeter of the cabin opening.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/30/2012 11:42 AM Pacific Time

Bill check the seal materiel for the pop top lid, it is probably the 1981 original and may have deteriorated or has gaps. Think about replacing with new which is mostly labor not cost. Also when you drop the hatch and tighten the dogs, tighten them altrenately from front corner to diagonal back corner half way on both sets, then do it again and look for "sky" gaps. If there are no gaps, don't overtighten. The hatch areas for the cockpit and doghouse, deck are better cleaned by hand with a rag than extreme water pressure. Also the top hatch board in the companion way has a small gap at each corner and in a good storm or wash will always let in water which drains to under the step. I put a large sponge under the step to help collect the water if it comes in, and always know where a sponge is when I need one. Hope this helps.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

09/30/2012 11:57 AM Pacific Time

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that you could have someone inside the boat watching for leaks as you flood the top with water. Obvious areas for leaks other than pop top/companionway are any screw fittings through the deck and windows. Sometimes the leaks aren't visable as they migrate but you will know they are there cause the water will end up in the bottom of the boat. This last year we have been using butyl tape instead of goopy sealer/adhesive to seal holes. There is no setup time on the tape, it is not messy, and you just cut off the size piece you need. So far no more leaking except at that pesky gap at the top of the companion way board. But the gap does serve a purpose for us as we run the extension cord through there, as we don't have built in shore power. I'm just careful not to squirt the hose there when washing the boat.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
10/02/2012 7:45 AM Pacific Time

When I washed my pop-top with a hose pipe, there was ALWAYS some 'underspray' with water spraying under the edges of the poptop. But, it never leaked with any kinds of heavy rains. So, just be careful with the hose pipe, and you more than likely will be ok. But, the forward hatch is the one which may give you some rain-leakage problems, if the seals are not proper.
Good luck with the new boat!!
Bill McMahon

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

11/04/2012 3:10 PM Pacific Time

Thanks everybody! Great feedback!
To attempt to seal the water leak in the pop-top I decided to replace the existing gasket which was pretty tired. My locally available options for new weather strip gasket are limited so I used a continuous strip of 1/2" closed cell foam dowel tacked in place with double-sided tape. It squashed down nicely but there was still light shining through at the forward edge. Pressure at the front edge closed the gap.
My C22 originally had only two pop-top hatch dogs installed about half way along the port and starboard sides. I read in the Catalina Direct propaganda that installing two more was highly advised. I spoke with them and they were quite emphatic about the need for four. They actually cited a C22 sinking on account of the inadequacy of just two. I ordered two more and am ready to install them. Can anybody advise the best place to mount the new dogs...sides or front, and if front how far off centre? And can I trust the screws provided under the mechanical stress of the threaded dog knobs?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

11/05/2012 10:16 PM Pacific Time

On my 89 C22 they are placed on the front. Just tarped up the boat for the 2nd time this week so not sure of the offset from the sides. Maybe CD can tell you. I can tell you the way to lock them down is similar to lug nuts on a tire. Think of doing them in a x pattern once NOT TO THE MAX. Then look for light and tighten a little bit more, especially if you see daylight. If you tighten too much, you will crack the plastic knob, so don't go gorrila on it. If you are seeing too much daylight rethink the water tight seal. Also, the ends of the bolt can be very sharp on your head or back if you are going into or out of the v-berth area. This is the only one that has bitten me, so I'm going to try putting a acorn nut on the end of it. If I was putting on a new set, figure out if you can move this one lock down in board or outboard enough to not catch your head or back in the passage way to the v-berth. Now that I've said that, I'm going to untarp the boat and have a look at re-positioning that darn lock down. Hope this helps!
Bill McMahon

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

11/09/2012 9:01 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Lynn,
I hadn't thought about barking my scalp on the bolt ends. A thought just occurred though. This is a funky fix but dead easy. I had roof rack for my kayak and the lateral rods stuck out quite a bit, proud of the sides of the car and I was walking onto the damn things getting in and out. What I did was made a crisscross cut in four tennis balls and stuck them on the ends. My girlfriend was a aesthetically critical but I thought it looked pretty sporty! In any case it draws your attention to the hazard and if you do bump into it it saves a gash. This may be worth consideration. I guess if a guy wanted to get real salty he could inset the plastic knurled dogs into a piece of spherical hardwood deep enough that all the bolt end was concealed within. Project for a blizzard! I'm going to take your advice and try to place them either side of the likely path of travel.
Good luck on yours! Bill

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Campanionway Hatch/Pop Top leak