Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Trolling Motor for Catalina 22

Author Trolling Motor for Catalina 22
Richard Williams
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Half Full

Model/Year: 22 / 1986

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Wheeler Lake, AL
10/15/2012 6:18 PM Pacific Time

I have a 85 Mercury 7.5 hp that is constantly causing me trouble. I sail on a fairly small lake with reasonable winds. Considering a 55 lb thrust trolling motor, but wondering if anyone has experience using a trolling motor on a Catalina 22?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/17/2012 12:03 AM Pacific Time

Two of the C22's on our lake at Scotts Flat Lake, CA home of the 2012 C22 National Regatta Championship use elec. motors. They don't race and are boats kept on a bouy which can easily be sailed off of or too. I think a lot depends on your sailing experience and skills. I never trust a motor elec. or gas/diesel and I always plan for the worst by making sure my boat is Coast Guard compliant and: 1) let someone know my float plan in the event things go bad 2) make sure life jackets fit for my guests and have them wear one 3) make sure I practice a lot of crew overboard without motor, have a boarding ladder in place at all times and practice sailing in and out of a dock or mooring without a motor with boats from 8 feet to 37 feet 4) always check my VHF radio, cell phone, the weather, and sailing area charts for "emergency anchoring areas" 5) have a big anchor with appropriate amount of chain and rode ready to be deployed. One or more of these five have saved my day more than once! Good luck out there and be safe!

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Trolling Motor for Catalina 22