Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Turnbuckle backing out under heavy load

Author Turnbuckle backing out under heavy load
Norm Barnes
Duluth, GA

Boat Name: Come What May

Model/Year: C 22 1978

Hull No. 6725

Hailing Port: LAKE LANIER
10/30/2012 8:26 AM Pacific Time

We got caught in 20+ wind this weekend and heavier gusts. Barely averted disaster when the forward lower shroud turnbuckle (old style closed body) came loose on my 1978 C22. Upon inspection of the other shrouds, 2 others had backed out to the point of almost failing. (The actual barrel of the turnbuckle unscrewed itself...not the base or the fitting.)

I had tightened down the nuts onto the barrel, but didn't have lock washers in place. The really weird thing is that the nut itself had stayed firm against the barrel while it unscrewed. It unscrewed from the upper and lower part, so I know there was no twist or issues with the deck fitting. This happened on 3 of the shrouds. There was no gap between the nut and the barrel itself even after it worked itself loose.

The turnbuckles I have do not have locking pins in them. It is just the closed barrel type.

This could have been a major disaster and I wonder if anyone has any theories on why this may have happened. (I am confident there was no twist in the actual shroud.) More importantly, what did I miss to ensure this won't happen again?

This was really close to a serious disaster and losing my mast. Thankfully I had good crew on board that were able to solve the issue (lost turnbckle) pretty quickly in crazy conditions. (Weather Channel said gusts to 28, but Im pretty sure there were a few even higher.)

Thanks for any advice.

Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/31/2012 12:04 AM Pacific Time

Hi Norm. I have a couple questions and a couple suggestions. You said the "nut" stayed against the barrel? There should have been two nuts, one at the top of the barrel and one at the bottom of the barrel. With one nut it would be easy for the barrel to shake itself loose. Once you get the mast and rigging tuned (use a Loose Gauge), at a medium wind setting for your area. If you know you are going to sail in big winds, tighten the turnbuckles before leaving the deck. I would suggest as a short term solution to use rigging tape to secure the nuts to the barrel. You didn't say if your deck eye bolts were the new style which stays stationary and can't turn, or the old style that can turn without the nut ever coming off when there is a lot of vibration? Also, you didn't say if you had checked the turnbuckle settings. You can take each one and mark on the outside with a sharpie pen its current setting on the exposed t-bolt, then back it off and see how many threads of each t-bolt (top and bottom) are in the enclosed turnbuckle. Try to get them equal as it only takes one to back out and ruin your day. You don't have to drop your mast to do this, just use a line that is tied off to each shroud as you work on it. Of course the best but most expensive solution would be to get the new style deck fittings and open turnbuckles. If you can't afford to do all 10 at once, break it down by focusing on the forestay and backstay first, port and starboard uppers second as these are the stays that keep the mast upright. The lowers are for tuning the mast and aren't as much a safety issue as the other four. If your rigging is not tuned properly for the wind conditions, the mast can pump and shake enough to not only loosen the rigging, but also damage the wooden bulkheads. Always check your rigging attachments topside and below after sailing in heavy weather or trailering your boat for long distances. Hope this helps some and glad you had a quick acting friend along to help you out.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
11/01/2012 4:29 AM Pacific Time

Norm, you were indeed fortunate. I have seen several boats with the barrel type turnbuckle. All have hat 2 nuts on top and bottom.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
11/01/2012 8:48 AM Pacific Time

Speaking from personal experience of the bad kind, replace the closed body with open ones. They are much more dependable as you can see what's going on and they lock with cotters.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
11/01/2012 6:52 PM Pacific Time

You may want to adjust your stays. I'll bet in the heavy air, with the boat heeled, the leeward tbuckles where flopping and twisting, and slowly, unscrewing themselves. I agree on the comment made by Howard, and others, too!
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
11/02/2012 7:25 AM Pacific Time

If you do replace the turnbuckles you may also have to adjust the length of the wires. Best option is to replace both. I did mine about 2 years ago with the kit from Catalina direct (halyards & stays). They will guide you through the process of ordering the correct lengths. These turnbuckles use a carter pin - make sure you get stainless steel ones!

The only real problem is lowering and raising the mast. Also if you have the older turnbuckles you may also have the cast aluminum spreader bar attachment. Good time to replace these with the mast down.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Turnbuckle backing out under heavy load