Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Forestay, Backstay, Shrouds

Author Forestay, Backstay, Shrouds
Jim
Kaukauna, WI

Boat Name: Tyderium

Model/Year: 72

Hull No. 822

Hailing Port:
06/04/2013 7:55 PM Pacific Time

Is there any reason to upgrade the cable sizes to something stronger? Lets say you upgraded everything to 3/16, it would be much stronger?
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
06/05/2013 8:41 AM Pacific Time

I have been sailing a C22 for over 15 years and never had a problem with the stays. Two years ago I replace the stays and chain plates just for the heck of it.

On saturday I was sailing in Galveston Bay and got caught in a freak thunderstorm with very high winds. I would estimate at over 50 mph. I did not get the sails down in time and had a very interesting 30 minutes with the boat in excess of 45 degrees several times.

The only damage was the loss of a forestay. It parted at the swage entrance on the lower side. I am not sure if this was due to an overload, corrosion or a combination. However I suspect corrosion to be the main culprit.

So while I do not see any disadvantage to a larger diameter, it would be difficult to state that the added cost would be beneficial. However this is a boat and if you do not want to spend money you should sell the boat!

Bottom line I think the standard stay wires are more than sufficient if maintained and you do not do stupid thing like I did.

Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
06/05/2013 10:09 AM Pacific Time

The boat was originally designed to tolerate a certain amount of load to the rigging. When you get to a certain point, the boat simply heels over. Any strength the rigging has above and beyond that required to lay the boat on its ear is wasted, and the additional weight aloft ends up making the boat more tender. In my opinion, using heavier than designed wire is actually undesirable for that reason. We all need to spend money on our boats from time to time, but there are far better places on the boat to spend it than doing something that actually hampers performance for no added benefit in return!
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
06/09/2013 8:47 AM Pacific Time

My experience is that it is much more important to upgrade the eyebolt/chainplate as recommended by Catalina. As you may or may not know, stainles steel does corrode when deprived of exposure as it is when it goes through the deck. Life gets really exciting when one of those eyebolts breaks. If you have not upgraded do it now!
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
06/10/2013 5:06 AM Pacific Time

When I upgraded the chainplates 2 years ago; 3 out of the 6 original bolts broke when I tried to remove them. Greg is right, stainless steel looks good but can have some unseen problems and as such does need tending to. CD has a tech topic on this type of corrosion.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/10/2013 10:51 AM Pacific Time

Since the boats design and sales in the beginning years, the designer and manufacture have issued upgrade recommendations for the standing rigging and deck hardware. CD has these recommendations or you can contact the mfg. Catalina Yachts. If you have to upgrade in increments due to finances, I would recommend the forestay, backstay, upper port and starboard shrouds, wire and deck fittings. That's what keeps the important part (the mast) up when things get pressed to maximum tolerance limits. As stated earlier, going way stronger than recommended for the design will just cost you money that may be better spent somewhere else on the boat, in my opinion.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
06/11/2013 5:43 AM Pacific Time

Not to mention the added weight aloft.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Forestay, Backstay, Shrouds