Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / 27 Rope Clutch replacement

Author 27 Rope Clutch replacement
Chuck Freise
Bailey, CO

Boat Name: Saltire

Model/Year: 350 / 2004

Hull No. 249

Hailing Port: Michigan City
06/29/2013 8:51 AM Pacific Time

Have a 1986 27TR and one of the handles broke on the double rope clutch on the port side. I measured fore to aft screw holes at 3-3/8" and port to stbd at 7/8". The new ones on the Catalina Direct site are different. Are these wood screws? Any help is appreciated.
Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
07/01/2013 4:04 PM Pacific Time

Rope clutches should always be through-bolted and reinforced on the bottom with fender washers. In addition, you should top them off with cap nuts to minimize potential for injury.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/02/2013 12:19 AM Pacific Time

It is possible the clutch was added after the boat was shipped from the factory as a dealer option and that's why the hole pattern is not the same as Catalina Directs. As stated earlier use a stainless steel bolt with nuts and a acorn cap if threads are protruding where someone might scrape themselves. If you broke the handle, you may be able to check with the clutch brand/mfg. and get a replacement. If CD doesn't sell the same brand to fit your holes, you may be able to check with Catalina Yachts Parts for a replacement part. They will need to know the year of your boat and the Boat Identification Number as well as the brand/mfg. of the existing clutch. Hope this helps.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
07/02/2013 11:57 AM Pacific Time

Also, if it is bolted through a cored section of the deck then take the opportunity to seal the core from water intrusion. Re-drill the hole with an oversize bit. If there is any soft wood in there then remove it by bending the point of a nail 90 degrees and chucking it in a drill. Put the bent nail in the hole and run the drill. That will remove he rotted wood. Tape the bottom hole and fill the cavity to the top with epoxy (use the liquidy kind for laminating/boat building, not the thickened stuff from the hardware store and make sure it is a slow curing epoxy). Re-drill the correct size hole through the hardened epoxy and you now have a sealed deck. Very easy to do, and worth the extra time to prevent a spongy deck.

PS make sure the wood in the core is completely dry before starting and make sure the hole stays full before the epoxy fully cures.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
07/02/2013 11:59 AM Pacific Time

The above method can also be used to fill one of the holes if you cant find a replacement clutch that has the same bolt pattern and need to re-dill one of the holes.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
07/02/2013 4:32 PM Pacific Time

Aaron, as much as I try to talk some people into this method, which I think I read in a Don Casey book, they just drill, put some goop in the hole and bolt the stuff on. I have to replace a clutch as it's in the wrong place and as much as I dread the project (which some would say is 'not a real project'I want to do it right.

If anyone has a tiny winch (bigger than a spool for thread) that they want to get rid of, I may be interested in buying it to help me raise the Main. I have a 22' Windstar which looks like a Cat Capri.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/03/2013 11:26 AM Pacific Time

Linda, does the Windstar have a moveable boom? If so, raise the main to the top, then push down on the boom till you get the tension you want on the luff, then take a short rope attached to the bottom of the boom at the gooseneck and cleat it off to a cleat on the mast below the boom. Adding a cunningham block and tackle to the bottom luff of the sail will allow you to make adjustments to the luff tension. If wanted you can run the cunningham to the cockpit for making easier adjustments when needed while under sail, or just cleat it to the mast. Most racers do this to avoid the extra weight of a winch. If you don't have roller furling and you find a winch, it would be better used on the Genoa Halyard for tensioning the sail luff.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
07/04/2013 12:18 PM Pacific Time

Yes, Lynn, the boom is moveable and I could do that but my lines all lead to the pit and I try to not have to get up on the cabin top to do anything while out on the water, especially solo. I am 76 and balance is not my strong suit anymore! I just need a small winch to place in front of the clutch but the clutch is at the bulkhead so I have to remove that and put on the winch there, then put the clutch fore of that. Until that time, I will give your idea a whirl. I do have a vang. Thanks!

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / 27 Rope Clutch replacement