Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Repair

Author Keel Repair
Michail Belov
Chile

Boat Name: Chileflora

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Constitucion (Chile)
05/06/2014 9:13 AM Pacific Time

I have just taken down the keel from my Catalina. In the process I broke two bolts out of four.

I have two questions:
- The bronze pin is frozen hard inside the keel, but on both sides it looks like new. I am afraid that if I try to force it out hammering out of the keel, I will damage it. If it looks perfect on outside on both sides, any chance that there is any serious electrolisys damage which can not be seen inside the keel?

A machining shop says that they can extract the cut bolts without problem (both of the bolts made about a turn before snapping off, so I believe them), but a question: would not be through bolts better and safer? If the extraction goes smooth, is there still any safety risk in using the weldments, or is it better to replace them? Also, in case that it is better to replace them, I think I would prefer oversized through-bolts (3/8") and not weldments, any thoughts about this issue? NOTE: I plan also to put an extra weight on tip of the keel (about 120-140 pounds), any safety issues with the standard-sized keel bolts or through bolts would be really better?

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Repair